09-23-2019 05:36 AM
A few months into owning this laptop the backlit keyboard stopped working. Even though I have tried going into the BIOS setup and disabled/enabled the action key mode, updating keyboard drivers and installing the latest software updates (including HPs updates) none have worked and the keyboard is still dark.
I have read similar threads but none have fixed my problem.
09-23-2019 06:31 AM
You are correct that the community has responded to this question in the past. Much of what can be recommended has indeed been suggested. I am sorry that nothing has helped.
Just in case...
BIOS to Defaults
Generally, the BIOS in a Spectre may not be as full featured as that in a Workstation (for example). If there have been changes applied, (and you did not edit the settings), differences that impact behavior might have been the result of a BIOS update. If adjusting the various settings (whatever you have available / whatever you have tried) has not worked, consider setting the BIOS to Defaults. At the least, setting to "Defaults" will usually not make things worse.
Fast Boot / Fast Start
If the behavior is due to something in the boot sequence,
If you are using Fast Start (many people do so),
Consider switching off Fast Start (at least temporarily).
Doing so will force the computer to boot from the installed Operating System on disk.
Switch off / on Fast Start / Fast Boot
Settings > System > Power and Sleep > Additional Power Settings >
Choose what the power button does >
Click Change settings that are currently unavailable >
Remove Check (clear box) Turn on fast startup (recommended) >
- Close programs (browsers, games, email, etc) and close any open windows
Windows key + X (opens a command list) > Click / Select Command Prompt (Admin) >
When the command window opens, type the following command and hit Enter:
shutdown /s /t 0
- Wait for the computer to shut down completely (a few seconds)
- Boot the computer > Log in > Wait around for a couple of minutes (yes, wait, do not rush) >
- Try shutting down the notebook from Windows key > Power
If all now works as expected, and you want to continue using Fast Boot,
Switch ON the fast boot / fast startup setting (optional)
I am not at all sure that the component tests can detect the keyboard backlit function. Nonetheless, if you have not done so, consider running the component / hardware tests at least for the keyboard and system board.
Contributed by Wes_notebooks
Run Component Tests
Contact Support - Ask for Help
After that you have done all you can do for the keyboard, my interpretation of "a few months" means the computer is perhaps still under warranty.
Contact Support: Open a case, provide the information, explain the issue and what you have tried in an effort to fix the problem, ask for help.
HP Technical Support - HP Contact Information
- Use the serial number of the device to submit the case (do not post that information on the Community).
- Chat is not available in every region. In those areas where Chat is an option, Chat service hours are likely restricted. In the event that Chat is not available in your region: Call the number provided in the HP directory, else submit your case online (to receive phone contact information)
- HP will advise you there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty. This is normal business practice.
- HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty. This is normal business practice. Standard Warranty typically covers specific hardware issues as explained in the Warranty contract. Care Pack coverage and warranties differ by package.
- If the HP Contact (phone) number is not immediately provided: Contact information is displayed on your screen after you submit your case online.
- HP websites are the only ones allowed to use the HP copyright circle/logo. Look for the copyright on any website claiming to be HP. If in doubt, scroll to the bottom of the Website to find HP copyright logo.
“Everywhere” Contact Information - HP Technical Support
Select your region and follow the prompts
Option: Contact HP Technical Support - Regions
USA / Canada
Submit information / case online: Contact HP Support – Assistance Portal
- Sign in or continue as a guest
- For faster support, submit information / case online HP Customer Support UK
- Contact Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist
Option - HP Support is on Facebook!
From HP > CAUTION
Recently, HP has seen an increased number of third-party support websites selling HP driver downloads or diagnostic tools. Many of these websites use the HP trademark symbol and claim to be official HP distributors.
If your product supports your operating system, HP offers your driver and software at no additional cost through the HP website.
Use caution when dealing with any website that asks you to pay for HP driver downloads or tools that claim to diagnose your HP products. These websites might not be affiliated with HP in any way.
Do not install BIOS updates from a motherboard manufacturer's website. Only install BIOS updates from HP. Installing BIOS updates from the motherboard manufacturer can prevent the computer from accepting an HP system recovery. This could result in a loss of data.
Need or want more information? Search for additional solutions...
Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device
NOTE: Content depends on device type
HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more
Open Support Home
Enter the name of your device
When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic
Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.
We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.
Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!
Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.