Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Notebook JC04

I am having trouble with my battery holding charge for my Notebook JC04, the battery was new 5 months ago but wont hold charge anymore, I have ran a diagnostic on it and the test comes up as cancelled every time, I am beginning to think that the issue is with the laptop rather than the battery, can anyone suggest anything else I can try to establish what the problem is? I have tested the AC adapter which passed the diagnostic test so it is not that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Plenty of variables could play into your laptop battery losing its charge—the most relevant three key culprits: power cord issues, software malfunction, and declining battery health.

Power Cord issues:
Many PC chargers have a two-in-one-piece AC adapter; one piece connects to the wall, and another connects to your computer. If both are securely connected, and your PC’s charging light doesn’t illuminate, you may be dealing with a faulty or damaged cord.

software malfunction
Your computer’s settings configuration may be set to shut down at a low level or slip into sleep mode after minutes of inactivity. Though these settings aren’t quite “malfunctions,” they can appear to be.
Software malfunctions arise when your computer’s drivers age out. An outdated driver can force your computer to reject your AC adapter’s power. Reinstalling the battery driver is a quick and easy fix for this problem.

declining battery health

One of the most common reasons for a laptop battery to stop charging is its declining health. The same way an old laptop computer has difficulty holding a charge, an old laptop battery struggles too.
Before battery failure, did you notice your laptop started to:
Overheat while charging?
Lose charge quickly?
Take longer to charge fully?

[content removed]

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Tbuckland1975

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • What are the troubleshooting steps you have tried so far?
  • What is the exact product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for your response, and apologies for the delay in getting back to you,

In answer to your questions:

1. I didn't make any changes to the settings prior to the issue

2. I have ran the HP hardware diagnostics, components tests on both the battery and AC adapter, the adapter test result passed but the battery test keeps saying "cancelled" - I have also been on the live chat help who suggested that I check all the connections and lighlty brush the ports when the battery has been removed etc which I have done but that did not help either

Tbuckland1975_0-1638524850641.png

3. The product ID is 2ZH50EA#ABU

I look forward to your reply when you are able, and thank you again.

HP Recommended

@Tbuckland1975

Thank you for posting back. 

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates. Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629 Refer to the article: HP Notebook PCs - Battery does not power notebook or hold a charge By the end of the article you will be able to isolate the issue.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed your suggestions but unfortunately it did not help:

Tbuckland1975_0-1638976664166.png

HP Recommended

@Tbuckland1975

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. 
The last thing I can suggest trying to restore a computer back to the factory default, which will isolate whether it’s a software or hardware issue. 

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response, your suggestion is beyond my capability and will therefore seek external help, and perhaps a new battery?

HP Recommended

if you have tested all the things and its not getting resolved you can go and try it with hp stores they will figure the things out as i faced the same issue with my hp laptop and got resolved at hp solution centre

HP Recommended

Plenty of variables could play into your laptop battery losing its charge—the most relevant three key culprits: power cord issues, software malfunction, and declining battery health.

Power Cord issues:
Many PC chargers have a two-in-one-piece AC adapter; one piece connects to the wall, and another connects to your computer. If both are securely connected, and your PC’s charging light doesn’t illuminate, you may be dealing with a faulty or damaged cord.

software malfunction
Your computer’s settings configuration may be set to shut down at a low level or slip into sleep mode after minutes of inactivity. Though these settings aren’t quite “malfunctions,” they can appear to be.
Software malfunctions arise when your computer’s drivers age out. An outdated driver can force your computer to reject your AC adapter’s power. Reinstalling the battery driver is a quick and easy fix for this problem.

declining battery health

One of the most common reasons for a laptop battery to stop charging is its declining health. The same way an old laptop computer has difficulty holding a charge, an old laptop battery struggles too.
Before battery failure, did you notice your laptop started to:
Overheat while charging?
Lose charge quickly?
Take longer to charge fully?

[content removed]

HP Recommended

Riya0205

Thankyou for your reply as I too was facing the same problem 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.