Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows XP

Hello anyone out there... desperate to updgrade my ancient HP Pavilion DV8000 laptop so I can pass it on to a student for school work. I guess by updating first the BIOS it will help me to introduce other updgrades (i.e., 32-64bits, newer OS and more rams) so it can be more useful for a learning student.  Currently, it has the original bios when it came out of the HP Facility back in the year 2006 when I ordered the system directly from Hewlett-Packard Online store.  Also, any suggestions to upgrade it from 32bits to 64bits, it will be much appreciated, too. Thank you our community. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There really isn't much I can answer other than this...

The BIOS updates are cumulative.  So F.24 contains all the BIOS updates provided in all of the previous releases.

Since HP discontinued support for the model series as it is over 10 years old, there is no record of what any of the BIOS updates fixed or enhanced.

Updating the BIOS does have some risks.  It may work fine, and it may render the notebook inoperable.

It's not like a driver update, where if that goes wrong, the worse case scenario is you reinstall the operating system.

Most of the times of course, it works fine.

Just make sure the battery is fully charged and the PC connected to A/C power if you decide to update the BIOS.

My opinion is...if the notebook is working fine on the current BIOS, I would not take the chance on updating the BIOS--especially with the absence of any documentation that tells us what the BIOS updates fixed or enhanced.

The F.24 BIOS update is only good for the dv8000 model series.  It would not work on any other PC.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

I believe this was the last BIOS release...

F.24   Oct 16,2007

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp37001-37500/sp37159.exe

If my memory serves me correctly, there is no 64 bit audio driver for the audio your notebook has, so I would not update to a 64 bit OS.

Max memory is only 2 GB (1 x 1 GB).

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, thank you so very much for your help!!!

I am not very knowledgeable as far as upgrading especially dealing with the core system as well as operating system. Well, will my Pavilion dv8000 be able to absorb and/or use all the changes offered on F.24 Bios even though it has the earliest Bios version for my particular laptop PC? Will there be a chance that my laptop will stop running after I upgraded it to F.24? Does BIOS F.24 has all the cumulative changes upgrading the BIOS from the start? In other words, since I did not have the succeeding upgrades from F.09 through F.23, that it should not matter if I skip those, that my system will still be functioning properly after upgrading to F.24? Based on your knowledge, is it advisable to take advantage of all BIOS upgrades applicable to the system I have?  Which raises another question regarding my other HP Pavilion DV7 (Mid 2010) that had a Windows 7 originally but was accidentally upgraded to Windows 10 (64 bits)...  if it can benefit or use this BIOS F.24 upgrade, as well?  Again, thank you so much for this wonderful voluntary work you do to help others.  Very nice! Later, Paul. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There really isn't much I can answer other than this...

The BIOS updates are cumulative.  So F.24 contains all the BIOS updates provided in all of the previous releases.

Since HP discontinued support for the model series as it is over 10 years old, there is no record of what any of the BIOS updates fixed or enhanced.

Updating the BIOS does have some risks.  It may work fine, and it may render the notebook inoperable.

It's not like a driver update, where if that goes wrong, the worse case scenario is you reinstall the operating system.

Most of the times of course, it works fine.

Just make sure the battery is fully charged and the PC connected to A/C power if you decide to update the BIOS.

My opinion is...if the notebook is working fine on the current BIOS, I would not take the chance on updating the BIOS--especially with the absence of any documentation that tells us what the BIOS updates fixed or enhanced.

The F.24 BIOS update is only good for the dv8000 model series.  It would not work on any other PC.

HP Recommended

Paul - Thank you so much! Want to let you know it worked. I was able to flash the old bios and loaded the new one you provided with success. The system restarted and it booted up properly so I considered it a SUCCESS. I appreciate your assistance.  -- Ooh_danno.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.