Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 14-bp0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, yesterday I was on my laptop when suddenly it’s just cut out and came up with a black error screen saying

“boot device not found

please install an operating system on your hard disk

hard disk (3F0)”

I was wonder if anyone could help me solve this as I’ve tried the resolution on the HP website but I didn’t have anything on my screen that was show in the pictures and is there any way I can back up my laptop and not lose data as I can’t get this error to go away so save any data on a memory stick .

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

That would typically mean the hard drive has failed.  The fact that it did "suddenly it’s just cut out and came up with a black error screen saying “boot device not found"

that is troubling.

Try running the Diagnostics routine to see if anything else reports

To run the Diagnostics routine, Start tapping the Esc key BEFORE starting the PC and then press the start button.
Keep tapping the Esc key until a popup menu shows. Then pick Diagnostics from that popup menu, F2.
Report back with the results.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.