Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is a fix to get the Broadcom 2070 Bluetooth adapter working on Windows 10 (found in for instance the 2560p Elitebooks)

On the internet I have found a lot of forum posts with this problem, however without working fixes. The main problem is that Broadcom decided not to make drivers for Windows 10 available. Installing older drivers in compatibility mode or default Windows bluetooth drivers did not work for me (and many others).

However, I found a fix! Windows 10 often does not even recognize this Bluetooth adapter in device manager, however it works flawlessly by default in Ubuntu (a popular Linux distribution). By enabling the Bluetooth adapter in Ubuntu and then switching back to Windows 10 it remains working! The steps in short are:

1) Download  a recent Ubuntu iso

2) Make a bootable usb-stick using Rufus  and the Ubuntu iso

3) Boot your laptop to Ubuntu (you can use it 'live' so you don't need to install anything!)

4) Go to settings and enable Bluetooth. Double check if it is working, for instance by pairing with another device such as your phone or speakers

6) Now you are done! Just shutdown Ubuntu, and restart under Windows 10. It should show the Bluetooth icon in the taskbar and work in Windows 10 too!

It involves some effort and is a pretty weird workaround but has worked for me twice (on two different HP Elitebook 2560p laptops).

Let me know if this worked for you too! Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

It wasn't a driver issue.

The problem is any HP notebook that came with W7 and had the HP connection manager software installed and the Bluetooth was turned off during the upgrade to W10, the Bluetooth remains off because the HP connection manager software does not work with W10.

That is why the BT doesn't show up in W10.

You found one method to get it to work and the other method would have been to reinstall W7, install the HP connection manager, restart the PC, turn the BT on with the connection manager software.

Verify the BT is working, uninstall the HP connection manager software, and reinstall W10.

I have posted your fix many times in the past on this forum, such as this one from three years ago, but thanks for your input.

Solved: Bluetooth on ProBook 4710s win10 NX631EA#BED [edit] - HP Support Community - 7299020

The fix works for any model BT adapter (Ralink, Intel, Atheros, etc.) that did not show up in W10 after a reinstall or upgrade.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

It wasn't a driver issue.

The problem is any HP notebook that came with W7 and had the HP connection manager software installed and the Bluetooth was turned off during the upgrade to W10, the Bluetooth remains off because the HP connection manager software does not work with W10.

That is why the BT doesn't show up in W10.

You found one method to get it to work and the other method would have been to reinstall W7, install the HP connection manager, restart the PC, turn the BT on with the connection manager software.

Verify the BT is working, uninstall the HP connection manager software, and reinstall W10.

I have posted your fix many times in the past on this forum, such as this one from three years ago, but thanks for your input.

Solved: Bluetooth on ProBook 4710s win10 NX631EA#BED [edit] - HP Support Community - 7299020

The fix works for any model BT adapter (Ralink, Intel, Atheros, etc.) that did not show up in W10 after a reinstall or upgrade.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply and the explanation. Ah too bad, then I have missed your solution unfortunately.

All the threads I have found on this issue ended up being unsolved, for example:

Broadcom 2070 Bluetooth Software and Driver don't work on th... - HP Support Community - 5817561

Broadcom BCM2070 BCM 2070 windows 10 driver - HP Support Community - 5323557

Windows 10 compatible driver for Broadcom Bluetooth 2070. - HP Support Community - 5962027

broadcom 2070 bluetooth software driver - HP Support Community - 5647032

Re: Broadcom 2070 Bluetooth Software and Driver doesn't work... - HP Support Community - 6882947

Therefor I thought this solution was never proposed. The threads above are archived, would be nice If the solution could somehow be posted there, that would have saved me a lot of time and effort 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.