Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 17-by0061st
Microsoft Windows 11

My CD/DVD drive is no longer recognized after Windows 11 upgrade. It is not listed in the Device manager. Microsoft says it's an HP issue. I couldn't find a driver for Windows 11 on the HP site.

And as a warning, my computer knowledge is a little limited.

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to see if any of the tips from Microsoft get the DVD drive to show up again.

Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs (microsoft.com)

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help but that article relies on the CD/DVD driver to show up in the Device Manager list, which it doesn't.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Try the guidance under method 4 and method 6.

Those are the methods you use when the drive doesn't appear in Windows explorer (this PC).

HP Recommended

There is no IDE/ATAPI in the Device Manager list. After reading a reply from you to a similar question last October, I realized the issue was not the Windows 11 upgrade but the SSD my son installed. Any thoughts on what I do now?

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't other than to try method 6 from the link, which makes no reference to the IDE/ATAPI Controllers device manager category.

Method 6: Create a registry subkey 

To create the registry subkey, follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run box.

2. Type regedit in the Run box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or select Allow.

3. In the navigation pane, locate the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi

4. Right-click atapi, point to New, then select Key.

5. Type Controller0, and then press Enter.

6. Right-click Controller0, point to New, and then select DWORD(32-bit) Value .

7. Type EnumDevice1, and then press Enter.

8. Right-click EnumDevice1, select Modify....

9. Type 1 in the Value data box, and then select OK.

10. Exit Registry Editor.

11. Restart the computer.

HP Recommended

I just followed the steps for Method 6. But I'm not sure what to expect or what I do now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.