Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17-s143cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I typed in my laptop's s/n to HP's website to determine which docking station was compatible with my laptop. The USB C dock G5 was one of the compatible devices listed and I purchased it. I also researched the needed USB C to USB A adapter and purchased it (HP brand). However, no matter what USB port on the laptop I plug the docking station into, the external monitor I plug into the HDMI port on the docking station doesn't work. I have updated the firmware on the docking station. Updated the BIOS and video chipset driver on the laptop. Any suggestions for resolving this is greatly appreciated as the goal is to run 2 external monitors for my laptop. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@MaxDeutch 

The specs of your machine is

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05301038

It does not have any USB-C port which is compatible with HP USB-C G5 dock. In this case, the USB-A to USB-C won't work. The following dock may work

HP USB-C/A Universal Dock G2

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. 

It is confusing as HP lists both as compatible for our specific HP Envy laptop (We typed in the serial number on HP's support site to verify). The G2 docking station also has a USB C connection just like the G5. Both the G5 and G2 require the USB A to C adapters for compatibility. We really don't want to purchase another docking station (G2) to only have the same exact problem as we are having with the G5.   

Is there someone that can help determine why the G5 won't work? (Especially, when HP lists it as a compatible device.) 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.