Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15 Notebook 15-f271wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I'm trying to play computer games on my pc but it won't let me push a key and use the touchpad at the same time. I've looked all over the web but can't find anything that works. Help please.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Normally, you just need to turn off SmartSense or PalmCheck the Synaptics control panel - however from what I've seen, this no longer seems to work for Windows 10 versions of this driver.

You may be able to get around this as follows.

First, download the Synaptics driver on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

Synaptics Driver Version 17.0.18.8

Turn off your wireless card ( should be f12 ).

Open windows control panel, open Programs and Features, right click the current Synaptics driver and select Uninstall.

When complete, restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, open your Downloads folder and run the Synaptics installer - when this has completed, restart the notebook again.

Open the Synaptics settings panel, disable SmartSense or PalmCheck and then check if the touchpad will now work with a keyboard key held down. 

If it does, turn your wireless card back on and use the utility on the following link to prevent Windows 10 from automatically updating the Synaptics driver.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3073930

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

This could be the game limitation. Refer to game manufacturer.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended
Nah it's not just during the game it never can do that.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Normally, you just need to turn off SmartSense or PalmCheck the Synaptics control panel - however from what I've seen, this no longer seems to work for Windows 10 versions of this driver.

You may be able to get around this as follows.

First, download the Synaptics driver on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

Synaptics Driver Version 17.0.18.8

Turn off your wireless card ( should be f12 ).

Open windows control panel, open Programs and Features, right click the current Synaptics driver and select Uninstall.

When complete, restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, open your Downloads folder and run the Synaptics installer - when this has completed, restart the notebook again.

Open the Synaptics settings panel, disable SmartSense or PalmCheck and then check if the touchpad will now work with a keyboard key held down. 

If it does, turn your wireless card back on and use the utility on the following link to prevent Windows 10 from automatically updating the Synaptics driver.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3073930

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Thanks man your a genius I really appreciate it. I did what you said and it's working now. I installed wushowhide and I tried to do the prevent from automatically updating step but no matter what I did a few seconds after the Internet was back on the update would take place. But finally on the device manager screen I went to Synaptics PS/2 Port Compatible TouchPad to uninstall it again. But I decided to check properties then went to Driver and their was a Roll Back Driver option and I clicked it. Then I went back into wushowhide program and was finally able to prevent Synaptics from updating.
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and good to hear you've got it working :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem so I tired this fix. And when I unistalled the current version of my Synaptics driverI noticed my cursor started to fidget whenever I placed over an icon or link. It was mildly annoying. Anyway After I restarted my computer and installed the old Synaptics driver that you put up, everything seemed to be going fine. I waited until both the extraction and installation were finished and then restarted once more. When my computer loaded up I noticed the cursor was behaving in the smae manner it did previously follwing the unistallation of the driver. I checked my program list and did not see the new Synaptics driver installed even though it said it has done. I restarted again and tried hen I go tomouse settingthe driver (not extracting) and nothing happened. It said it was installed but I don't see it in the program list. When I go to mouse settings, there are no adjustable setting for my driver, the cause of this I think is that I have no driver installed even though I've done it multiple times. Because of this, I am unable to change any setting pertaining to my mouse or touchpad. 

I am using a HP laptop with window 10 installed. 64 bit processing system. AMD A8-7410 APU. 

Do you have a fix for this problem?

HP Recommended

Hi @obinnss,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! It's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are unable to move the mouse when you are typing.

Don’t worry, we will work together to resolve this issue and It’s a pleasure to assist you in this regard.

Awesome job on diagnosing the issue correctly and performing smart troubleshooting before posting your question on HP forums. Kudos to you on that score.

Follow the steps listed below and check if it helps.

1. Control Panel

2. Hardware and sound

3. Mouse

4. Click on synaptics Click pad

5. Go to settings below and to the right of the white box

6. Go to the advanced tab

7. Turn down palm tracking to minimum

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This hasn't worked for me. I can't find any option called "palm tracking" although i tried changing similar options with no luck either. Even the solution of the previous person hasn't worked. I tried installing the previous version of synaptics but after the installation, i can't find the driver and thus, can't change the required settings.

HP Recommended

The Solution offered by The_Fossette does not work for me. I am trying to install device driver sfotware in order to r=try to fix the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.