Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp 15 notebook pc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Downloaded the AMD Catalyst software listed on the webpage for this laptop.

The install manager will start after each coldboot, and nothing I have tried stops this action.  I even removed the software

The program is listed in the Control Panel, and in Settings>Add Remove software.  Using uninstall in the Control Panel completes, but the program still starts.  The option to remove in Settings is greyed out.

How do I stop the Manager from running at startup (it's not in the Startup list)  And get it removed from the system?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@snowshed 

AMD Catalyst is Windows 7 (and prior) software; Windows10 from AMD is Adrenalin Edition.  So, it looks like you tried to install a really OLD version of the AMD Driver.

What I have used in the past to clean out AMD installer parts is something known as Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU).  You can get it from here:  https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

That will remove ALL the AMD display components, so when you reboot when the process is done, you will have to reinstall the AMD drivers from scratch.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, WAWOOD.
@WAWood wrote:

@snowshed 

AMD Catalyst is Windows 7 (and prior) software; Windows10 from AMD is Adrenalin Edition.  So, it looks like you tried to install a really OLD version of the AMD Driver.

Not according to the drivers page for the laptop.  The file I downloaded is for Windows 10.

This is a brand new clean install of W10.  The computer did have W8.1 installed originally.  No additional software has been installed, other than correct drivers from HP's site.

It might be just as easy to simply reset the install, rather than to continue to try to remove the catalyst drivers.  I've got all the downloaded drivers on the hard drive, and it doesn't take that long to install them.

What I have used in the past to clean out AMD installer parts is something known as Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU).  You can get it from here:  https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

I checked that site, and if you try to use it for a Windows 10 1903 install, you use it at your own risk.  And it is a 1903 install.

That will remove ALL the AMD display components, so when you reboot when the process is done, you will have to reinstall the AMD drivers from scratch.

HP's support site often leaves a lot to be desired.  I'm typing this post on my Mac.   When I went to HP's Support site, searching for drivers by the laptop's serial number on the Mac, the site tells me there are no drivers to be found.

When I connect the laptop and go to the HP Support site, and let HP identify the computer, and then drill down to drivers, no problem.  Lots of drivers.  LOL

Go figure.

HP Recommended

@snowshed 

I can't agree more about AMD's site -- it leaves a lot to be desired.

I started using DDU when  I did routine Video Driver updates in Win10 using Radeon Settings and my PC would crash during the final reboot.  When I check the AMD Release Notes, they said to totally remove the old AMD drivers before installing new ones.  OK, if that should always be the case, then why do they offer Express Upgrade -- which does not remove the drivers and reboot to a default driver in the interim?

When I go to AMD, I no longer see entries for Catalyst, only for Radeon Adrenalin Edition -- so I presumed they got rid of the old Catalyst name. 

HP Recommended

@WAWood wrote:

@snowshed 

I can't agree more about AMD's site -- it leaves a lot to be desired.

I started using DDU when  I did routine Video Driver updates in Win10 using Radeon Settings and my PC would crash during the final reboot.  When I check the AMD Release Notes, they said to totally remove the old AMD drivers before installing new ones.  OK, if that should always be the case, then why do they offer Express Upgrade -- which does not remove the drivers and reboot to a default driver in the interim?

You just have to wonder what programmers/designers are thinking.

With the warning about using DDU on version 1903, my initial thought was to just to reset the system, and skip the AMD driver.  This is my niece's laptop, that came with 8.1 and it was screwed up by her son.  It started to update 8.1 to 10, and he simply turned it off.  Game over.  🤣

But that''s not my nature, I hate to give up.

I opted for a clean install of 10, using drivers from HP.  And, except for the AMD software on the HP website, all worked.

The first install of the AMD program from HP would open the install manager at boot up with a black dialogue box.   I tried DDU, no joy in Mudville.

Next I I reinstalled the software, and now the install manager dialogue was correct when the system was booted.  Tried the removal process, and there was one failure.  That was the removal of the install manager.  LOL

Off to AMD's site.  I've had mixed results in the past between using the software on HP's site vs. AMD's site.

When I go to AMD, I no longer see entries for Catalyst, only for Radeon Adrenalin Edition -- so I presumed they got rid of the old Catalyst name. 

I didn't bother looking for Catalyst software.  I went to the page that lets AMD identify the graphics card and then install what AMD thought was the correct software.  It did install the Adrenaline Edition, what ever the difference is.

Problem solved!  LOL

But wait...  This is W10!!!  Even more updates to install!!     🤣

I'll hang on to the DDU program, it may be useful in the future.  And maybe the author will updated it for 1903.

HP Recommended

@snowshed 

Catalyst is what AMD called their drivers in the Win7 days; today, they call them the Adrenalin Edition -- although I believe they also have these for Win7.

I have found that with the recent AMD drivers, the Express Install works just fine and takes a lot less time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.