Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-4002dx (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have an HP Spectre 14-4002dx x360 running windows 8.1.  I had to change the battery because the old battery swelled up.  When I replaced the battery I could not get the wireless antenna connectors to stay attached to the wireless board.  Rather than try to fix that I started using an external  USB wirreless device for connectivity.  When I rebooted the machine I got a message saying the checksum did not match and the bios would be set to factory default.   After starting everything worked fine for a few days.

Now when the machine starts the caps lock is on and the keyboard does not work so I cannot log in normally.  I can use the on-screen keyboard to log in but the Caps lock stays on and the keyboard does not work.  IThe virtual keyboward does work and the usb mouse works.  I changed security settings to not require a password when resuming from sleep.  When the system resumes everything coms up, the usb mouse works and caps lock is not on. I can use the on screen keyboard and usb mouse but as soon as I click any  a keyboard key or the touchpad, caps lock comes on and the keyboard does not work

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the keyboard drivers,  I have unpluged the battery and plugged it back in.  I ran system diagnostics, I have the latest updates installed.

I need help debugging this problem.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @GPag 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... and I would like to help you.

Due to the swelling of the battery, the keyboard was damaged. The ribbon cable of the keyboard and the keyboard must be checked. It is very likely that the keyboard must be replaced.

In your case: Service is required !
- The computer should be disassembled and checked.
- [Always recommended] Thermal paste for CPU GPU and bridges should be renewed
- [Always recommended] The function of the fan(s) must be checked

- Keyboard and ribbon cable check/replace

- General cleaning ...

If you can't do that, you should have it serviced by a professional notebook (chip level) repair store.

HP Parts:

https://partsurfer.hp.com/partsurfer?searchtext=L0Q56UA

ub6424_0-1659899553602.png

HP Recommended

"Due to the swelling of the battery, the keyboard was damaged. The ribbon cable of the keyboard and the keyboard must be checked. It is very likely that the keyboard must be replaced."

The keyboard worked for several days without error after the battery was replaced but you may be right.  I was able to get into Hardware Diagnostics to run a keyboard test.  the test involves pressing keyboard keys but as soon as I hit a key the Caps Lock goes on.   

I am going to pull it apart and make sure there is not a loose cable.  If necessary, I'll replace the KB.

HP Recommended

Please report your results

Good luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.