Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP pavilion 6500
Microsoft Windows XP

Hello, I have a question on outdated product HP pavilion 6500 which we recurect and on want on him win XP. Inside is Sata slot but notebook cant we switch between Legacy and Uefi mode so I cant boot XP from usb or from CD because it cant found and HDD. Now on ntb is BIOS ver F23 Intel procesor 1,7Ghz .

I tryed an BIOS updater SP52477 with XP live usb boot but that bios doesnt match and installation ended.  That was info from this forum other topics, but not works for me.

Many thanks for help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Good morning I have an update - your way was right but with wrong file. After many tryes with USB FDD, with drivers inside ISO + USB boot, 32/64bit versions - I reach this forum https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-dv6565ca-hd-sata-driver.85807/

and because links not stay forever here is information

File name : f6flpy32.zip
Ver:7.5.0.1017
Date:6/4/2007
====> 32-bit Floppy Configuration Utility for Intel® Matrix Storage Manager

right file is Intel 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller.

Actualy iam back in version with drivers inside ISO and seems ok

Thanks for your help because you direct me to right way.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The PC does not have a UEFI BIOS.

There is no setting to change the BIOS from AHCI mode to IDE mode.

The problem you are having is that XP does not have the SATA controller driver that it needs to see the hard drive.

If you are referring to having a HP dv6500 model notebook you have to slipstream the correct SATA AHCI drivers into a copy of your XP installation disk.

See the document I attached for how to do that; or you can google 'slipstream storage drivers for XP.'

If you have a USB floppy disk drive and floppy disk, I can give you the drivers to install that way.

HP Recommended

I believe I do all steps of slipstream with these files.   Unfortunately hdd still doesnt apear.  I use rufus for USB boot, maybe problem is here and these work only with burn media.  So can you please upload somewhere good drivers and I try in monday boot with floppy disc and drivers there. 

But thanks for idea of Slipstream I dont know about it and its usefull

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, I agree with you...all of the slipstream methods I have found for XP indicate you have to extract the installation files from an XP installation CD.

I did not find any instructions for an XP USB flash drive.

I have zipped up and attached the XP 32 bit SATA drivers you need to copy to a floppy disk, below.

Unzip the attached files and copy all of them to the floppy disk.

Just the files, not the folder.

Plug the flash drive in the notebook.

Boot from your XP installation media.

When you see that message to press F6 to load a storage driver, do so.

Setup will continue and stop a bit later, and prompt you to load the driver by pressing the 's' key.

Windows should search for the floppy disk drive and you will see a  list of several of the different SATA controller drivers that can be installed for various Intel chipsets.

You want to scroll up or down using the arrow keys (it could be either way you have to scroll) and select this one...

Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller

Setup will continue and Windows should find the drive and install.

Do not remove the USB FDD until the installation is complete.

Later in the installation Windows will go back to the floppy disk for some more files.

I made that mistake once.

I thought OK, Windows found the hard drive and now I can remove the USB FDD.

Not so.

Then I had to go back and start the process all over again.

HP Recommended

Good morning I have an update - your way was right but with wrong file. After many tryes with USB FDD, with drivers inside ISO + USB boot, 32/64bit versions - I reach this forum https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-dv6565ca-hd-sata-driver.85807/

and because links not stay forever here is information

File name : f6flpy32.zip
Ver:7.5.0.1017
Date:6/4/2007
====> 32-bit Floppy Configuration Utility for Intel® Matrix Storage Manager

right file is Intel 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller.

Actualy iam back in version with drivers inside ISO and seems ok

Thanks for your help because you direct me to right way.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

I selected that file because I have a HP 6910p with the Mobile Intel 965 chipset and that is the SATA controller driver my notebook used.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.