cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
thattechguy
Level 2
7 3 1 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

Change in Partition Scheme with latest version of Windows

HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-bs0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, everyone!

I need help with a recent change in my partition scheme on my notebook.

Four days ago, I decided to update my OS from Windows 10 1909 to Windows 10 20H2. 

After seven hours of updating, the notebook worked perfectly fine. However, I noticed that my "HP_RECOVERY" partition had stopped working. It is right there on the Windows Explorer, but, on Disk Management it now says "Basic Data Partition" instead of "OEM Partition". I know this isn't happening just to me because on other HP Pavilion computers the same thing happened.

Should I worry or is this normal (or will be fixed soon)? I can still run HP Recovery Manager (essential for the company I work for) but it says the Recovery partition was removed and therefore I can't create Recovery media on newer systems.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,549 26,985 3,118 6,750
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@thattechguy 

It's most likely not going to be fixed -- at least, by HP -- because this is an unfortunate side-effect of forcing a new version of Windows onto the PC.  In some cases, Windows adds it own recovery partition; in others, it overwrites or removes an existing recovery partition.  There is nothing HP can do to prevent that.

However, all it not lost because there are superior third-party tools for making your own recovery media so you won't need the recovery partition.

My suggestion is you consider using a third-party solution known as Macrium Reflect (MR).

I prefer to use third-party recovery solutions for the following reasons:
1) More flexibility and reliabilty -- can make recovery media as often as you like, not restricted to one attempt, which if it fails, then you are stuck.
2) More media options -- can create media in DVD, USB stick, or external drive format
3) Mounting option -- can "mount" the save images as virtual "drives" and extract individual files and folders
4) WinPE boot option -- can install a special boot option that allows you to boot to recovery information and do a repair or restore from there -- when Windows will not boot

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive, USB stick, or DVDs
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore. Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry. This allows you then to boot into WinPE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive, USB stick or DVDs in only a few minutes.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,549 26,985 3,118 6,750
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@thattechguy 

It's most likely not going to be fixed -- at least, by HP -- because this is an unfortunate side-effect of forcing a new version of Windows onto the PC.  In some cases, Windows adds it own recovery partition; in others, it overwrites or removes an existing recovery partition.  There is nothing HP can do to prevent that.

However, all it not lost because there are superior third-party tools for making your own recovery media so you won't need the recovery partition.

My suggestion is you consider using a third-party solution known as Macrium Reflect (MR).

I prefer to use third-party recovery solutions for the following reasons:
1) More flexibility and reliabilty -- can make recovery media as often as you like, not restricted to one attempt, which if it fails, then you are stuck.
2) More media options -- can create media in DVD, USB stick, or external drive format
3) Mounting option -- can "mount" the save images as virtual "drives" and extract individual files and folders
4) WinPE boot option -- can install a special boot option that allows you to boot to recovery information and do a repair or restore from there -- when Windows will not boot

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive, USB stick, or DVDs
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore. Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry. This allows you then to boot into WinPE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive, USB stick or DVDs in only a few minutes.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

thattechguy
Author
Level 2
7 3 1 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks so much.

Sad to hear that. I'll try MR next. I regret updating.

However, not you ir HP's fault. And yes, Windows created its own recovery partición without removing the HP one. It just disabled it.

Ser you around!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation