Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

i can't change behaviour of using Fn key with Functions key.

I want to hit F4, but i have to pres Fn + F4.

There is no bios option like "Action key mode"

How can i setup to Function keys (F1 - F12) will be pressed without using Fn keys.

Thaks a lot.

Martin.

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

I have the same Problem on my HP ProBook 440 G5. In the UEFI settings there is only the option

"Swap fn with ctrl" available but I want to change the behavior of the fn keys

HP Recommended

Finally i found a partial solution.

In my case, on left shift is written Fn Lock. So if you press Fn and left Shift, then Fn is turned on and it works as i expected. but it's wierd ...

HP Recommended

That doesn't work for me. On my left shift key there is written "fn" with an arrow down symbol. If i fn and left shift the behavior doesn't change. 

On my fn key there is an extra led like on caps lock. But I don't know how to activate this behavior

HP Recommended

Solved it. I had to push fn+ctrl+shift and then the lock led turned on. Now I can change the behavior of the fn keys.

Very bad: the phone support of HP said that it is not possbile to change this behavior on my product 😕

HP Recommended

We talking about same thing - Fn lock = Fn (pressed - arrow down symbol).

I have led light indicator on shift too, and it's shining, when lock is activated.

So press and HOLD Fn and then press left shift and then relase Fn.

Lightn on left shift should bright.

Martin.

HP Recommended

A BIOS Option would be MUCH more professional than this weird "press multple keys" thing.

Will certainly make me stay away from Probooks in the future. Noting Pro about this, if HP doesn't even care enough to implement a simple BIOS toggle switch.

HP Recommended

Silly that no bios option is available or a windows keyb option. We have hundreds of users that heavily use shortcuts like MS Excel F2 to edit cell content or Alt+F4 to close apps...

And when the support team asks to hit F5 to refresh a screen or Outlook F9 to send/receive, now they have to ask first "have you this stupid half-pro hp thing" ?

Same for AS/400 emulator with F1-F24 122 keys keyboards

HP Recommended

Thanks Martin_Fejks.  it worked though It was pretty small thing to watch.

HP Recommended

Yes. Exactly. I bought HP Laptop for the first time. My work is such that i need to use the F2 and F3 keys every minute !! And when i saw this stupid thing on the keyboard, i was super upset. Also, the Fn key is placed in such an uncomfortable position that i have to actually bend my hand and fingers to reach that !!
Its 2018 and the world is talking abt Robots and Space Ships, and these companies cant even provide customers a proper usable keyboard 😕

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.