Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently, when I plug the charger in I get the message 

"Your computer is designed to vary performance as needed when a smaller capacity Smart AC Adapter is connected. However your computer exceeds the power rating for the Smart AC Adapter connected. Please connect a higher capacity Smart AC Adapter."

I am using the adapter provided when I got the computer, which is the only adapter I have ever used with it, and never had this problem until a couple of days ago (I have had the laptop since January 2015). Once that message appears the laptop will not charge, and will not show the charger as connected - if I run a battery check it will say the battery is fine but the AC is not connected. The light by the adapter will either be solid white or flashing white.

However, the laptop will charge when it is turned off, and if the battery is removed will run fine on just the AC Adapter. If the laptop dies with the battery in, not recognising the adapter, it will begin to charge once off and will continue to charge if turned back on - a battery check now shows the battery is ok, and the light by the adapter is solid orange. Once I remove the charger the same problem occurs when I need to reconnect it.

Where is this problem likely to be coming from, and how can I go about fixing it? The battery and charger seem to be working on their own, but something seems to be going wrong between them.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@laelti

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

I'd be glad to help you 🙂

As I Understand the laptop is plugged into the adapter/charger but it doesn't charge or power on anymore,

Don't worry, though, as I have a few steps listed below that should help you resolve this concern:

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%.

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins.

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager,

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed.

Also, here’s a collection of all the battery related documents
Go through them all and let me know what you have determined is causing the issue.
The first document has the most relevant troubleshooting if your battery appears to be not charging or if it charges during the shutdown state.

Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge

Battery Charging Delayed When Operating Notebook in High Ambient Temperatures

Battery Does Not Charge when Using a Voltage Adapter with the Power Adapter

Battery Indicator Light Turns On and Off While Battery is Charging

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.
If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.
Both icons are below this post.

Have a good day, Ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello.

The laptop does power on. It will charge also, but it will only charge when turned off. If I connect the charger while it is turned on, it initially shows as charging but after about a second I get the message that the adapter does not match the power of the laptop and then it will no longer charge/show the charger as connected.

I have tried the steps and it does not help - I have no option to "reinstall" Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery on device manager, though I have made sure it is up to date.

If I let it run to 15%, leave it then turn it back on, it automatically turns off due to low battery very quickly anyway.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@laelti

Thank you for replying,

I understand it charges when the computer is turned on but doesn't work when it's turned off,

And the documents i shared earlier should have helped in resolving the issue, nevertheless, i would recommend you check with an alternate adapter as in certain cases the adapter causes such issues,

I would also request you to go through the other articles i had shared previously and keep me posted.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have now tried the laptop with an alternate adapter. It recognises the adapter, but again after about 1 second of showing charging I get the pop up below, and it won't charge anymore.

"HP offers a wide range of  Smart AC Adapter for your convenience, replacement and travel needs.Find these accessories and more at select retailers.

Your computer is designed to vary performance as needed when a smaller capacity Smart AC Adapter is connected. However your computer exceeds the power rating for the Smart AC Adapter connected. Please connect a higher capacity Smart AC Adapter.

Thank you for choosing a HP product".

This is the same message I got with the old adapter. The old adapter is the one that was provided with the laptop, and I have made sure the new one is the same specification. It will not charge after this pop up appears. (Though again it does charge when turned off and will run on the adapter if the battery is removed).

I can not find anything in the articles you provided that explains this problem.

HP Recommended

@laelti

Thank you for the update,

I had to take some time off and research this issue as it's one of a kind and i found that a BIOS update has helped fix the issue for most,

Here's a link to update your BIOS: Click here

Take your time and keep me posted,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Was there ever a solution to this? I am having EXACTLY the same problem as OP, exactly the same, down to every single word.
HP Recommended

Nothing has worked for me yet.

The best way I've found to deal with it is to close the lid and force the laptop into sleep when I need to charge it, wait until the light goes orange then re-open and it continues to charge. Not convinced it's the most healthy thing for the laptop but it's usable...

HP Recommended
That does work for mine too! Thanks. I can bare doing that. Better than using with no battery.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.