Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought the HP envy in the hope that I could charge it in my caravan through the USB ports in the solar power controller. This has enough charge to power up an ipad but doesn't seem to ba able to charge the laptop. Is there a cable that might do this for me as I have tried with a generic one ?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@dan_thompson

To better help you we would need the exact model number or product number of your laptop/desktop???

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c00033108

REO

HP Recommended

LAPTOP

MODEL NO 15-as102na ( non touch screen type )

(removed content)

HP Recommended

Keep in mind that some HP laptops do not allow use of a generic USB-C charger. Apparently the laptop can ask the charger who made it and doesn't work with non-HP chargers. I have a 13t-W000 and have purchased two extra chargers, one is an HP charger and the other is a generic. The generic charger works but will occasionally pop up a message to tell you that it's not happy you are using a non-HP charger. I think it was PC-World that tested USB-C chargers and they couldn't get a non-HP charger to work with the HP laptops they were testing. I was told on mine that one of the BIOS updates removed the restriction to allow non-HP chargers.

Now having said all of that I think you need the charger to supply about 3A at 12V for the laptop to charge. That's a lot of current for a solar charger and you may not have the power you need. An iPad needs about 1A at 5V to charge and so a iPad charger would not work on most laptops. USB and USB-C are completely different.

HP Recommended

Thanks

Thats very helpful

I'll try and buy an HP charger

Will it be model specific ?

dan

HP Recommended

Sorry should have asked earlier.

Is your charger a USB to USB-C as this is what I would like to use.

HP don't have them in their US or UK store and I'm not sure that a genuine one exists.

Tried to chat with technical support but they directed me to the UK who don't seem to have a chat line or email address to write to.

Also...the solar panels are about 360 Watts in total. The ipad charges if you use one of the USB ports but the second port needs to be empty as the ipad won't charge otherwise.

HP Recommended

The only way I could see to overcome the problem would be to use this

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-usb-c-to-usb-3-adapter

But I would still need a generic cable to the adapter

HP Recommended

You can get USB-C chargers from Amazon, both HP and generic.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.