Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 15-ep0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I currently am facing an issue where every time I attempt to put the computer into sleep, it appears to restart and and any applications previously opened are closed.

I currently have a brand new Envy 15-ep0xxx in this configuration:

• Intel® Core™ i7-10750H, 16GB, GTX 1660Ti, 512GB
  • BIOS: AMI F.01 4/16/2020

For me I can reproduce this problem simply by enabling s0 sleep and putting the laptop to sleep through any method, whether it be the power button, closing the lid, or through the windows menu. Disabling fastboot does not appear to change anything. I have also ensured all my graphics drivers are up to date. I have replicated this issue both on AC and battery, as well as with and without and external monitor attached.

I have been able to get around this issue currently by disabling the s0 sleep mode in the registry and using hibernate instead. Looking in the BIOS it appears I can not enable other sleep modes such as s3.

Looking at the event viewer after these reboots, there are two events that standout to me:

• Event ID 6008: The previous system shutdown at <TIME> on ‎<DATE> was unexpected.
  • Event ID 41: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Other events seem to be normal booting up events and I have not seen anything that indicates it should be restarting. The event log also does not seem to have any indicators that the laptop ever went into a sleep state.

If anyone has encountered similar issues or knows a solution, I would appreciate it if you could comment below. If you need additional information from me please let me know as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@andwhyI suggest you make a few changes to the way sleep mode works under power options:

• Change - "Put the computer to sleep" to preferred time,
  • And Change - "Turn off the monitor" to never.

If the issue persists, try the below steps:

Disabling the hybrid sleep, followed by updating all available Windows updates and the BIOS update from the HP website, please follow the below steps to disable the hybrid sleep after performing a hard reset on the device should help resolve the issue.

1. In Windows, search for and open Control panel.

2. Make sure the View by setting is set to Category, and then click Hardware and Sound.

3. Click Power Options.

4. Click Change plan settings for the power plan that is selected.

Changing  the plan settings

5. Click Change advanced power settings.

Clicking Change advanced power settings

6. Expand Sleep, and then expand Allow hybrid sleep.

7. Select Off from the On battery drop-down menu, and then select Off from the Plugged in drop-down menu.

Selecting Off in the On battery drop-down menu

8. Click OK.

If the issue persists, I suggest you Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

Click Extensive Test.

Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@andwhyI suggest you make a few changes to the way sleep mode works under power options:

• Change - "Put the computer to sleep" to preferred time,
  • And Change - "Turn off the monitor" to never.

If the issue persists, try the below steps:

Disabling the hybrid sleep, followed by updating all available Windows updates and the BIOS update from the HP website, please follow the below steps to disable the hybrid sleep after performing a hard reset on the device should help resolve the issue.

1. In Windows, search for and open Control panel.

2. Make sure the View by setting is set to Category, and then click Hardware and Sound.

3. Click Power Options.

4. Click Change plan settings for the power plan that is selected.

Changing  the plan settings

5. Click Change advanced power settings.

Clicking Change advanced power settings

6. Expand Sleep, and then expand Allow hybrid sleep.

7. Select Off from the On battery drop-down menu, and then select Off from the Plugged in drop-down menu.

Selecting Off in the On battery drop-down menu

8. Click OK.

If the issue persists, I suggest you Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

Click Extensive Test.

Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher the first couple of suggestions and preforming a hard reset have seemed to solved the issue so thank you very much.

I would like to note that I do not have a HP recommended power plan available and within the balanced power profile (the only one I have) hybrid sleep was not an option. In the end the issue seems resolved despite not having those options. I also did have an update to windows version 19401 between my initial post and attempting your solutions.

HP Recommended

@andwhy Alright, I'm glad its been sorted, and if everything works fine without those options, there's nothing to worry about,

And I hope you have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.