Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Sat sri akal, Jeet Singh.  I worked for many hours and many days with Microsoft, who sent me to HP. I need updated&compatible Keybd Drvr. Only have Win7 Drvr as preinstall, but have upgraded OS to 10.

You asked for more details:

1) What exactly seems to be an issue with the keyboard? *It does not type anything nor track pad*

2) Have you checked if the external USB keyboard works? *I purchased a wireless external that works. But that does not matter. The computer is a laptop with a built in keyboard.  The built in keyboard does not work after I uninstalled malware. See below. Also, none of Microsoft's solutions worked, and they sent me to HP.*

3) you don't need any keyboard drivers as it's a plug and play device. *Inaccurate. The built in keyboard for the laptop is not a plug and play.*

4) If you wish, you can try to uninstall the keyboard drivers from device manager and then you can either click on Scan for Hardware changes or you can restart the notebook.

This will automatically look for the drivers and install it. *Inaccurate.  I tried this with 9+ Microsoft Representatives. It never worked. The laptop's keyboard never resumed working. Even after paying for their advanced technology support and purchasing and upgrading to Windows 10. 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Below is the conversation I had with the 13th or so Microsoft Representative. He instructed me to go to your HP help center and ask you for the updated and compatible driver for HP Pavilion G7 Notebook PC since the driver is not visible on your website. 

***Microsoft Representative, Christian:***
When I look on the driver of the keyboard, it is not available on the web, and the original OS of the HP Pavilion G7 is Windows 7 x64 only. It says on the Device manager to look on the website.

Me: so this laptop isn't supposed to run Win 10?

Christian: No, I mean, all HP Pavilion PC if Windows 7 Pre-installed OS, not Windows 10, but you can still upgrade the Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 and 10. 

Me: That doesn't fully make sense casuse it was running win8.1 no issue. 

Christian: The Driver on Device manager says, Code 24 which is : If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit their website and check the support Section for Drivers.. so I tried to look on HP support website for the driver and I found out that the OS that was supported by the driver is Windows 7, and no Windows 8.1 or 10, we can still use that, however, there is no Keyboard driver visible on their website. I updated the driver. Look at the Error message. If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit their website and check the support Section for Drivers... So I went on HP support website, and look for the HP Pavilion G7 Notebook PC. Cause that is the Brand and model of your device. If you see, it only provides us Windows 7 Driver , cause Windows 7 is preinstalled on this kind of Device, but you can still upgrade the OS to 10.  It will give us all the drivers that we can download and install on this PC once there is a problem with the Driver. 

Christian: When we look on the Driver-Keyboard, mouse and input device, it only provide us Synaptic Touchpad Driver, and no Keyboard Driver. So meaning to say, that you need to contact HP and ask them the updated and compatible driver for HP Pavilion G7 Notebook PC since the driver is not visible on their website. Basically, there is no problem with the Operating system, only on the driver if this PC which is the built-in Keyboard; so earlier I said that we might consider this a hardware faulty driver. You can copy and paste our chat and provide them to HP Support.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @HolaLola, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I understand the keys on the keyboard has stopped functioning.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

What Jeet told was correct the keyboard uses a generic Microsoft driver. It does not have any specific driver on HP laptops.

The keyboard shipped with HP laptop uses a driver from the windows update, So there are no drivers available from HP.

However, you can try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

First, restart your PC keep tapping the F11 key on your PC before the PC boots, you will see the recovery manager screen.

Open the command prompt from the list and check if all the keys on your PC are functioning correctly.

Try few steps recommended below.

Turn off the computer and then restart it.
Press the Esc key repeatedly to see if a startup menu opens.
If a setup menu does not open, the integrated keyboard hardware is not working. The integrated keyboard in the notebook should be serviced or replaced. To continue using the notebook, connect a USB-wired keyboard to a USB port and restart the computer.
If a setup menu opens, use the arrow keys to navigate the menus. If these keys are working in the startup menu, but then fail when Windows loads, the problems might be related to the keyboard software.
Restart the computer.
In Device Manager, uninstall and reinstall the keyboard software:
In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
Click View and select Show Hidden Devices.
Click the arrow next to Keyboards, right-click the keyboard device name, then select Uninstall to remove the device from Windows.
Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled.
Restart the notebook. Right-click Start (), select Shut down or sign out, then select Restart.
Wait for the computer to restart and open Windows.

Also, Turn off Filter Keys

Filter Keys is a feature that is designed to ignore brief or repeated keystrokes, and according to users, this feature is turned on by default on their laptops, and that’s what’s causing the keyboard issue.

Go to Control Panel and open Ease of Access Center.
Scroll down and select Make the keyboard easier to use option.
Scroll down and locate Filter Keys option. Make sure that Turn on Filter Keys option is not checked.
After turning off this option, click Apply and OK to save changes.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot keyboard issues with your PC. Click Here

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. It is a hardware issue with your PC.

Hope this answers your query! 

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I will attempt these steps.  Could you please explain why the internal keyboard to the laptop stopped working immediately after removing a malware, and why neither HP or Microsoft is able to provide support to fix the driver?   

Source of Issue:  (malware www-search.net by Tuvaro)

Page Offering Solution: https://malwaretips.com/blogs/www-search-net-removal/ 

HP Recommended

@HolaLola,

It looks like you were interacting with @A4Apollo, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service. 

After reviewing your post thoroughly, I suspect the malware might have damaged the drivers and we don't know what all the malware has done on the computer. 

Hence, I would suggest you try to follow the steps suggested in the previous post. 

Moreover, as my colleague mentioned the laptop's keyboard uses a driver from the windows update,

Please try the steps and get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting as this will help us in further assisting you.

Waiting for your response!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.