Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LAPTOP
Microsoft Windows 10 IOT

I have an HP Laptop 15-DA0xxxx, **Edited that I can't disable the touchpad. This laptop is not under warranty. I also  have a 15-DA0047NR that is in Warranty. It is the same model as the one out of warranty. If I call HP support to help with this they will charge me. I was able  to get the warranty laptop to accept the the "disable the touchpad when an external USB mouse is attached" using HP phone support but not on the out of warranty laptop. All your online instructions ask me to do things that I don't have or see at all. There are no options to "disable the touchpad when an external USB mouse is attached". It is a Synaptics  SMBus Touchpad. The edit was caused by my right palm activating the touchpad. I need to stop this from happening!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@tmagic650 

I understand your concerns.

I have checked with Riddle_Decipher as well. 

In that case, I would suggest you take the backup of Office 2007 and perform the system reset 

Have a nice day!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@tmagic650 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you would like to disable the touchpad.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Follow the below steps and you'll be good to go 🙂 

1.  On some touchpads, you can turn on or off the Touchpad by double-tapping in the upper left corner of the Touchpad. Double-tap to turn the Touchpad on, repeat to turn the Touchpad off. 

Figure : Touchpad On/Off Switch 

1. Perform a hard reset by following the steps in the HP document Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset (in English). A hard reset clears the driver's instructions. Your computer rereads all instructions from the drivers and software stored in the Operating System which can solve some problems. 

2. Be sure you have the latest drivers for your Touchpad. Use the following steps to install the latest drivers. 

1. Go to the HP Drivers and Downloads web page. Enter your computer model number and then click Go. 

2. Select your computer model from the list of results. 

3. Select your operating system from the drop-down menu and then click Next. 

4. Scroll down to select the driver category Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices. 

5. Click the Download button next to the appropriate TouchPad or ClickPad driver. The file downloads to your Downloads folder 

6. Open your Downloads folder and double-click to install the latest driver. Follow on-screen instructions to complete the installation. 

More assistance available: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/touch-pad/m-p/6797762  

If the issue still persists, please reinstall the drivers and check.

Let me know how that pans out,
If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,
That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,
Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help, this tapping does not work though, this HP Laptop is a 15-da0xxx CND84716TM 3vn38ua#ABA

HP Recommended

I can't do a hard reset I will lose my Office 2007 install and it will tell me I have exceeded the number of activation's

HP Recommended

@tmagic650 

I understand your concerns.

I have checked with Riddle_Decipher as well. 

In that case, I would suggest you take the backup of Office 2007 and perform the system reset 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I did a hard reset and I'm happy to tell you I got to the "turn off touchpad when a USB mouse is installed" it worked

HP Recommended

Office 2007 did activate on a reinstall Thanks again!

HP Recommended

@tmagic650

We are happy to hear that provided solution worked for you.

In the future, If you have any concerns. Please get back to us. We will assist you.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.