Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-df0999nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. My name is Francesco and I will try to be the most accurate as possible in explaining the problem. 

After a few minutes since I run an office package software (word, excel, etc ...) I hear the fans working a lot and immediately after the computer crashes. I am forced to turn it off by the power button.

The "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (0x0000009F) error" appears to be  caused by a transition of drivers into an inconsistent or invalid power state.

The only way to understand which driver is responsible for the problem is to analyze the .DMP file produced by Windows at the time of the error that I attach as dropbox link (https://www.dropbox.com/s/lflho6upk6obmcb/061420-10609-01.dmp?dl=0)IMG_20200614_202016.jpg

The characteristics of my pc HP Spectre x360 - 15-df0999nl are the following:

Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU:Intel Core i7 @ 1.80GHz 50 °C Kaby Lake-U/Y 14nm Technology
RAM:16,0GB
Motherboard:HP 8518 (U3E1)
Graphics: Generic PnP Monitor (3840x2160@60Hz) Intel UHD Graphics 620 (HP) 2047MB NVIDIA  (HP) 40 °C SLI Disabled
Storage: 953GB KXG50ZNV1T02 TOSHIBA (Unknown (SSD))
Optical Drives:No optical disk drives detected
Audio:Realtek High Definition Audio

(characteristics powered by Speccy)

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@OS_FREEZING I suggest the below steps:

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.  

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F11 key repeatedly, about once every second. Choose Language  

3. In Windows RE (Recovery environment), click Troubleshoot.  

4. Click Advanced options.  

5. Click Startup Settings and Click Restart button. 

6. You can press 4 number key to enter Safe Mode (Enable safe mode)  

7. After you enter Safe Mode, follow steps below to uninstall the problematic drivers.  

8. Press Win + R (Windows key and R key) at the same time. A Run dialog will appear.  

9. Type devmgmt.msc in the run box and click OK button.  

10. Expand the category and find the devices with yellow sign.  

11. Right click on the problem device and Click Uninstall.

12. After uninstalling the drivers, restart Windows. 

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am also seeing this bugcheck on trying to Upgrade to Win 10 2004 at boot. I have been trying to find out which driver is causing it for months but on intiial boot of 2004 I get a blue screen and Driver_Power_state_failure and the upgrade rolls back to 1909. My device manager has no yellow icons.

HP Recommended

@banger696 There aren't any known issues as far as I know, and I went through various Microsoft links/forums, that said, I suggest installing all available windows updates, update the BIOS and when done, install the Windows 10 2004 again, and let me know if that helps.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

BIOS is up to date and so is Windows Update. Like I said I have been at this for months since it went into Release Preview and now at release. It gets to 30% reboots then circles for a while and blue screens with the above error. I even sent logs to MS and they suggested it could be the Synaptics Touchpad driver but as yet no updates for that since March.

HP Recommended

@banger696 I suggest the below steps to test and repair the windows system files that could be creating this conflict:

1) open administrative command prompt and type and paste these commands:
2) sfc /scannow
3) dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
4) dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
5) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
6) chkdsk /scan
7) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread
8) perform windows updates and post any failed kb# with error code
9) The best way to fix the misbehaving driver is to uninstall it, then restart the device and update the same using the HP Support Assistant or the HP website.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.900]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.18362.900

Image Version: 10.0.18363.900

No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

[==========================100.0%==========================] No component store corruption detected.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk /scan
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is Windows.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
606464 file records processed.
File verification completed.
7452 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
10338 reparse records processed.
731082 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
10338 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
62310 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
38447224 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

248765439 KB total disk space.
113363924 KB in 231107 files.
159032 KB in 62311 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
726831 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
134515652 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
62191359 total allocation units on disk.
33628913 allocation units available on disk.

😎 No incorrectly installed updates.

9) Tried installing 2004 with basic video driver and synaptics touchpad driver uninstalled but windows keeps putting them back still getting blue screen with Driver_Power_State_Failure on second boot and rollback.

HP Recommended

Solved by doing a clean install. I am now scared to install HP SA just in case it installs old drivers and causes a BSOD.

HP Recommended

@banger696 That would have been my last resort, however, I'm glad the clean install did the trick and If you need us, feel free to write to us any time, have an awesome day ahead,

And If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.