Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV5 Product KQ573AU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

When booting this machine up, both the HP logo and the Windows 10 logo are off center and left from the middle of the screen. I don't believe it's a windows issue because I pulled the HHD and had the same issue with the HP Logo being off center You'll also notice about 2 inches of black unused screen on the right hand side.  So, I'm thinking it has to be either a bad graphics card or a glitch is the bios. The machine is old so I figured I'd start with a BIOS upgrade but there's not one out there. It currently has F.11

I've looked all over HP's site and other sites but to no avail. Not only can't I find any version, I can't determine if F.11 is the latest version.

And yes, I did download HP Assistant but it doesn't always recognize if the BIOS is up to date. And even if F.11 is the latest, I'd like to flash it again. Or maybe downgrade one version just to mix it up a bit

Thank you in advance for any answersHP Screen.jpg or suggestions

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Steven:

Here are the links to the last BIOS update info file and the BIOS update exe file HP released for your dv5t-1000 notebook.

F.21

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45138.cva

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45138.exe

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP retired support for that model series since it is more than 10 years old.

I cannot find any info on the product number you posted.

Does your notebook have an Intel or AMD processor?

Also note that any BIOS update that may be available would have been written to be run on Vista or W7, not W10.

Updating the BIOS in W10 will carry very high risks up to and including bricking your notebook.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

THANK YOU for answering! I couldn't find any info on the product number or serial number either

It's an Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 @2.26 GHz

AH..I was wondering if the BIOS would play nice with Windows 10.  Thank you for that piece of info!!! (Don't want to brick it)

Do you have any idea when I can find "any" BIOS for this machine?

Steven

HP Recommended

BTW...I dont see my photo that I attached so here's the serial number as well [personal info removed] -- KQ574AV

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Steven:

Here are the links to the last BIOS update info file and the BIOS update exe file HP released for your dv5t-1000 notebook.

F.21

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45138.cva

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45138.exe

HP Recommended

Hello!

THANK YOU again for that link to F. 21. I loaded Win 7 as you suggested and it took it. YIPPEE! However I still have the problem. The only thing that comes to mind would be the graphics card. Do you have any thoughts that I may have missed?!

Thank you

Steven

HP Recommended

HI

Another thought came to mind so I pulled in an external monitor. It came up 100% and occupied the entire screen so I don;t think its the graphics card. Maybe the screen is failing on the laptop and the graphics card is trying to compensate?

Steven

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Steven.

Go to the device manager.

Click to expand the Display adapters device manager category.

Do you see a specific model graphics adapter listed there, or do you see a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter listed there.

If you see a Microsoft Basic Display adapter listed there, then you are missing the graphics driver, which could be the reason the display is off kilter.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.