Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP X2 notebook laptop/tablet
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Microsoft just updated my Windows. In doing so, it left behind a folder "Windows.old". It is a large file and I need that space. In trying to delete it, it cannot be done in the usual way from the Setting Page. So, I tried to just Delete the folder. I keep getting an error saying I need permissions from: System, TrustedInstaller and others. It seems to be a backup temp file. How do I get rid of it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only way I know of how to delete the Windows.old folder is like this...

Run the disk cleanup utility found in the programs menu>Windows Administrative Tools section.

When the program arrives at the disk cleanup window, click on the Cleanup system files button on the lower left side of the window.

The program will run again and this time when the window reappears, you will be able to check the boxes including the box to delete the Windows.old folder.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only way I know of how to delete the Windows.old folder is like this...

Run the disk cleanup utility found in the programs menu>Windows Administrative Tools section.

When the program arrives at the disk cleanup window, click on the Cleanup system files button on the lower left side of the window.

The program will run again and this time when the window reappears, you will be able to check the boxes including the box to delete the Windows.old folder.

HP Recommended

Thanks as this solved the problem. I did a right click on the drive to bring up the Properties tab. Follow the steps and you will see the disc clean up process.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, you can access the disk cleanup utility that way as well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.