rwebert
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Detection verification issues

HP Recommended
HP ENVY - 17-u163cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Detection verifications for logitech keyboard and mouse and Seagate 5T external drive. Keyboard and mouse work, but device manager show problem. Computer will not recognize Seagate external drive. This just started today.  

1 REPLY 1
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,727 30,634 2,796 6,753
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@rwebert 

You said the computer will not recognize the drive -- but that does not provide us any useful details.

To see if Windows can read the drive, do the following:

1) In the search area, enter "create and format" and select the Create and Format option. That will open the Drive Management window

2) Scroll down through the drives listed in the window until you see your external drive

3) If it is not listed, that means the BIOS can not see the drive and thus, Windows will not be able to see it either.  That means a hardware issue with the drive.

4) If it is listed then look a the details.  If it shows the partition as RAW, that means the drive has become unformatted and Windows will not be able to read it.

5) If it shows the drive as formatted but there is no drive letter, then use the option to assign a drive letter.  After that, Windows will be able to see the drive and you will be able to access it.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation