Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new HP Envy X360 which is working fine except for two "messages" within the Devices & Printers screen:

1) My laptop is the only item listed under Devices and it is shown with a yellow triangle with the status "Driver Error".   When I run Troubleshoot, I get a screen saying: System Firmware has a driver problem.   Clicking on this brings up "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem".    Then clicking on "View detailed information" shows "Problem with PnP devices".  Running the HPSA shows that there are no problems and everything is up-to-date.

2) I have an HP Photosmart 5520 Printer connected to my home network.  On the Devices & Printers screen the status shows as Not Connected but it is and seems to be working perfectly.

Any ideas why I am seeing these two erroneous messages when eveything seems to be OK?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Dave_V

Thanks for getting back to us. Appreciate you trying the troubleshooting steps.  I have sent you a Private Message with the details about the next course of action.

Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums.

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Dave_V

Greetings!

Welcome to the HP Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand, there's an issue with the printer drivers.

Don't worry, I'm here to help! To better assist you - What's the exact error message?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps -

Solution# 1 HP Print and Scan Doctor -

Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor from here.

Solution# 2 Re-install the printer drivers -

1) In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program". 
2) Look for HP Printer software. 
3) Right-click to uninstall. 
4) In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”. 
5) In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”. 
6) Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.  
7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”). 
8) Click on the "Drivers" tab. 
9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom. 
10) Select Ok. 
11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows. 
12) Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed. 
13) Restart the computer. 
14) Download and install the software and drivers from here.

If the issue still persists, please try updating the computer -

Solution# 3 Windows Updates troubleshooter -

Click on this link to run Windows Updates troubleshooter.

Solution# 4 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Solution# 5 HP Support Assistant Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Let me know how that goes.

To thank us for our efforts to help you, click here to access your public post and Select - "Accept as solution" and click on the purple "Thumbs up". 

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Asmita.   Thanks for your prompt and comprehensive reply.

In fact, before posting my message, I had already carried out solutions 1, 3, 4 & 5.   I had also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the HP Printer software and updating the printer drivers but not in as systematic manner as you have outlined in solution 2.

I am new to Windows 10 and feeling my way with the program list.   As my laptop as well as my printer are from HP I can see a whole raft of HP programs in the apps list some of which are easily identifiable as printer software but some of which are not:

1. HP Audio Switch
  2. HP Command Center
  3. HP Connection Optimizer
  4. HP Documentation
  5. HP ePrint SW
  6. HP JumpStart
  7. HP JumpStart Apps
  8. HP JumpStart Bridge
  9. HP JumpStart Launch
  10. HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows
  11. HP Photo Creations
  12. HP Photosmart 5520 series Basic Device Software
  13. HP Photosmart 5520 series Help
  14. HP Photosmart 5520 series Product Improvement
  15. HP Support Assistant
  16. HP Support Solutions Framework
  17. HP System Event Utility
  18. HP Universal Camera Driver
  19. HP Update
  20. HPDiagnosticCoreDll

Do I just need to uninstall 12, 13 & 14 from the above list?

In Devices and Printers I see three HP Printers listed:

1. HP ePrint + JetAdvantage
  2. HP Photosmart 5520 (USB)
  3. HP Photosmart 5520 (Network)

Should I choose Remove Device for all three?

Thanks again in advance.

Dave

HP Recommended

@Dave_V

Thanks for replying 🙂

We need to uninstall only the printer drivers. 12, 13 and 14 are the correct option. 

Yes, remove all the 3 devices.

Keep me posted. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi again.

• I uninstalled the three software programs related to HP 5520 Software.
  • I removed the 3 devices.
  • On step 9 on Solution 2 after running printui.exe /s there were two HP5520 drivers listed.  I successfully removed one but I got a message when trying to remove the other one that I could not remove the driver as it is in use.

I'll re-boot, try again and let you know the outcome.

Dave

HP Recommended

@Dave_V

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Let's try restarting the printer spooler. Refer to this video link for steps. Restart the computer and try again. 

Keep me posted. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have restarted the Print Spooler as per your video link.  However I can still not remove the remaining 5520 printer driver.   The odd thing about it is that the name of the driver doesn't look right to me.   The driver I have been able to delete had a name something like HP Photosmart 5520 but this one's name is HP Color LaserJet CP5520 Series PCL 6.

HP Recommended

@Dave_V

Let's reboot the computer and try installing the full-feature printer drivers. 

Let me know how that pans out. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

In what order should I carry out the following steps after rebooting?

• Install software
  • Install full feature driver
  • Add printer
HP Recommended

I went ahead before you replied and installed the full feature software and driver package which automatically picked up and added the printer wirelessly.

The good news is that Printers list now shows the printer as being on-line rather than not connected.

The bad news is that:

1. I still have the rogue driver when I run printui.exe and I still can't remove it.
  2. I am still seeing the yellow triangle by the laptop itself in the Devices list with the comment "Driver Error" which the troubleshooter shows as a Firmware Driver Problem and under "more details" reports it as "problem with pnp devices".  In addition the Health Report within the Windows Defender Security Centre still shows there is a device driver problem  which the troubleshooter can't fix.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.