Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Notebook-15-bs070nb
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

I am an amateur Office programmer (VBA) and like to sign my projects with a self created certificate (Office SelfCert).

When I signed a project and want to save it, I get the pop-up "please insert smart card". As I don't have a smart card, I can only hit the cancel button but that removes my signature from the project.

How can I completely disable this pop-up?

Kind regards,

JP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Ruben;

It looks as I solved the issue by following this: http://www.gmayor.com/create_and_employ_a_digital_cert.htm

Thanks for helping.

Kind regards,

JP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

please follow the steps below :

Disable Smart Card Plug and Play Service

Step 1 :
Hold down the "Windows" key and press "R" to open the Run dialog. Type "gpedit.msc" at the prompt and press "Enter" to open the Local Group Policy Editor.

Step 2 :
Expand "Computer Configuration," "Administrative Templates" and "Windows Components" in the tree browser. Double-click the "Smart Card" folder in the main window.

Step 3 :
Right-click "Turn On Smart Card Plug and Play Service" and select "Edit." In the Properties dialog, select "Disabled" to turn off this service and remove the smart card option from the login screen. Click "Apply" and "OK" to save your changes.

Step 4 :
Close Local Group Policy Editor and restart Windows to finalize the changes.

"I work for HP."
Regards,
Ruben

****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

HP Recommended

Hi Ruben,

Thanks for the swift reply. I found the first step already on the internet, problem is " Windows cannot find gpedit.msc".

Regards,

JP

HP Recommended

open run and type CMD.

on command prompt type gpedit.msc and check.

if command prompt is also not working search for windows PowerShell on windows and try gpedit.msc.

Please let me know if its working or not.

"I work for HP."
Regards,
Ruben

HP Recommended

Hi Ruben,

Did not work with cmd or powershell.

I scanned the pc for it and found 10 locations. 

When I trying this way it gives me a pop-up, see below.

Kind regards,

JP

2018-07-19 16_58_46-Microsoft Management Console.png

HP Recommended

Hi Ruben;

It looks as I solved the issue by following this: http://www.gmayor.com/create_and_employ_a_digital_cert.htm

Thanks for helping.

Kind regards,

JP

HP Recommended

I've tried the steps below and still receive the smart card pop up.

- I've also tried disabling it in bios

- using group policy

any suggestions?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.