Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY-15t-as100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all:

I am posting an non-HP question.

Maybe 2-3 months ago, I bought a winzip V21. Recently, I clean-installed my w10, the winzip was cleaned.

What's the way to recover the winzip?  Do I need to buy it again???      -- Zhao

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should have gotten a license key to use, and you can go to winzip, download the software and use the key you purchased to activate the software.

http://www.winzip.com/win/en/landing/prodpagewz.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1.0...

I use this free file utility which to me is as good as winzip is...

http://www.7-zip.org/

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should have gotten a license key to use, and you can go to winzip, download the software and use the key you purchased to activate the software.

http://www.winzip.com/win/en/landing/prodpagewz.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1.0...

I use this free file utility which to me is as good as winzip is...

http://www.7-zip.org/

HP Recommended

When you bought Winzip they usually send you an email with an install Code. Do you still have that? 

HP Recommended

Just for your information, there is a freeware program called  7zip  that works very well.  Not sure how it works with Winzip

files, but worth a test.

KenW
HP Recommended

> Do I need to buy it again?

I have never found a need to use WinZip, because Windows 10 has a built-in program to "unzip" those '.zip' files.

In Windows, click with the second (usually the right-hand) mouse-button on any '.zip' file, and choose "Extract All" to create a new folder with the contents within the source file.

Yes, the '7-zip' software creates/opens the same '.zip' files.

HP Recommended

The built in unzip utility found on Vista>W10 will not unzip exe driver files to their respective folder.

The utility will only unzip zip files, or send files to a zip folder.

WinZip and 7-Zip will extract exe files to a folder so the user can explore the folder.

I use 7-Zip all the time to explore driver files to see if the setup information files contain support for specific hardware ID's.

That way, I don't risk any issues by running an exe file on my PC.

I used to use WinZip, but why pay for something when the freeware is just as good.

HP Recommended

>  The built-in utility found on Vista/W7/W8/W10 will not unzip exe driver files to their respective folder.

> The utility will only unzip zip files ...

Yes, that "unzipper" only processes one type of files.

Please try the built-in "unzipper". 

It creates a new folder, or allows you to specify an existing folder, as the "target" for the operation.

The same as for any other folder, just use the Windows "File Explorer" to browse the contents of the folder.

I don't know what you mean about "respective" folder.

HP Recommended

Download any HP driver file you want.  Use an ethernet or wireless driver file for example.

You cannot extract that file into its respective driver folder using the built in Windows unzip utility.

Download and install 7-zip from the link I posted above.  You can uninstall it later if you want.

After you install 7-Zip, right click on the HP driver exe file you downloaded.

Select 7-Zip from the menu.

Have 7-Zip extract to: and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp#####).

After 7-zip does its thing, you can now explore the contents of the exe file's respective sp##### folder.

HP Recommended

Hello All:

I posted the winzip question this morning. In 2-hour I got so many replies.

Now I know I don't need winzip at all. I can use "windows explorer" or "7zip"

Thanks a great deal!                                  -- Zhao

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.