Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13 aw-0090ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The Windows 10 event viewer on my Spectre x360 13 aw-0090ca shows a recurring event every twenty minutes or so:

Software ELANEzTiltPenCtrl had non-critical error 0x4D5 during installation, will retry later.

I have searched for "Ez Tilt Pen" software in an effort to manually install the software Windows says keeps failing to install, but the only thing I could find was an entry for that software on the Windows Store, and when I try to download it a windows says it is not for my device.  My pen (which shipped with the laptop) works fine.  How do I stop this repeated failed software install?  I can't find the software and I don't see any startup programs that refer to it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I've solved the mystery.  After noticing that the pen my new HP Spectre x360 13 shipped with was NOT the HP Tilt Pen that was advertised to come with the laptop on the HP Canada online store, but rather the simple HP Pen (it takes an AAAA battery, not a USB-C charge), I went back into Device Manager and uninstalled the Elan EZ Tilt Pen device and chose 'delete all software'.  Sure enough, the Pen still works fine, as does the HP Pen Control software.  It looks like the laptop shipped with the HP Tilt Pen drivers installed (as seen in Device Manager), but the pen it shipped with was the wrong one.  Windows kept trying to install the software for the HP Tilt Pen (because that device was 'installed' according to Device Manager - clearly as part of the HP Windows 10 image as I haven't downloaded or installed anything on the laptop since it arrived), but without being able to fire up and pair that actual pen, the software install kept failing.  I'm not sure why the mismatch between the advertised and shipped pen (and the pre-installed drivers for the advertised pen), but that was the root of the problem.  Once the HP Tilt Pen (Elan EZ Tilt) was removed from Device Manager the constant error message stopped appearing in the Windows Event Viewer and everything is fine now.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@CraigRGB

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are not getting EZ tilt pen software failure message on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you download and install the HP Tilt pen driver from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp98501-99000/sp98826.exe

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. The driver is installed and shows in Windows device manager. The pen itself works fine, but I keep getting recurring notices in the Windows event viewer that the installation of the Elan EZ Tilt Pen Control software has failed and Windows will try again later. I have the HP Pen Control App on the laptop and it works, so I don't know what software  Windows keeps giving me the error message about. It has done this since the laptop arrived from HP last month. Windows updates are current. The HP Support Assistant says everything is up to date. I have even done an HP Cloud Recovery and reset the laptop, but the error message persists.

HP Recommended

@CraigRGB Could you share an image of this error message? so we know exactly what we are dealing with?

And we can solve the issue accordingly?

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Here are images of the error message that is appearing in my Windows Event Viewer (3,000 times in the last month) plus images from Device Manager showing the pen driver properly installed.  The pen works fine, as does the HP Pen Control software.  Windows, however, keeps trying to install this software resulting in this repeated error message.error.jpgpen.jpgdriver.jpg

driver.jpg

pen.jpg

error.jpg

   

HP Recommended

@CraigRGB

Thank you for the information.

It looks like this update is getting installed from the Windows updates. We need to find the update and disable it.

Here is how it is done.

1. Click the Start menu.
  2. Look for Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.
  3. Click/tap on the View installed update history link under Update status on the right side.
  4. You will now see the history of Windows Update listed in categories.
  5. When finished, you can close the Settings.

Let me know how it goes.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I looked in Windows Updates as you suggested and there are two categories "Quality Updates" and "Driver Updates".  Under driver updates I do indeed see "ELAN Provider - HIDClass - 1.0.0.9", which I think is what Windows keeps trying to install.  From looking in my Device Manger this is ALREADY installed.  I see how I can uninstall or disable regular Microsoft updates but I don't see any way to uninstall or disable to "Driver Updates" in the Windows Update window.

HP Recommended

I've solved the mystery.  After noticing that the pen my new HP Spectre x360 13 shipped with was NOT the HP Tilt Pen that was advertised to come with the laptop on the HP Canada online store, but rather the simple HP Pen (it takes an AAAA battery, not a USB-C charge), I went back into Device Manager and uninstalled the Elan EZ Tilt Pen device and chose 'delete all software'.  Sure enough, the Pen still works fine, as does the HP Pen Control software.  It looks like the laptop shipped with the HP Tilt Pen drivers installed (as seen in Device Manager), but the pen it shipped with was the wrong one.  Windows kept trying to install the software for the HP Tilt Pen (because that device was 'installed' according to Device Manager - clearly as part of the HP Windows 10 image as I haven't downloaded or installed anything on the laptop since it arrived), but without being able to fire up and pair that actual pen, the software install kept failing.  I'm not sure why the mismatch between the advertised and shipped pen (and the pre-installed drivers for the advertised pen), but that was the root of the problem.  Once the HP Tilt Pen (Elan EZ Tilt) was removed from Device Manager the constant error message stopped appearing in the Windows Event Viewer and everything is fine now.

HP Recommended

@CraigRGB

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.