Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop PC 17-by4000 (18B36AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Have lost content from files in the attempt to transfer from old HP laptop to new. both are running Windows 11. Have used both external hard drive back up and 512 GB flash drive. Content does not transfer with either. In my research I found reference to issues with One Drive, but not sure if this is accurate. Not sure if this is a Windows 11 issue, an HP issue, or both. Either way, I'm a very unhappy camper.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @ricbraun,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I'd like to help!

I understand that you are facing issue with transferring data from you old Notebook to your new HP Notebook PC. 

To assist you better I would need some more information:

• Do you get any kind of error when you try to transfer data?
  • Did you copy all your data from your old PC to an external hard driver or did you use OneDrive?
  • Have you tried to update Windows on both the PC's?

While you respond to that, please try the below steps:

Windows Update:

• To check for updates, 
  • select Start > Settings > Windows Update , then select Check for updates
  • If updates are available, you can choose to install them.

Use HP Support Assistant to update PC drivers:

• Download HP Support Assistant from this link
  • Use HP Support Assistant to automatically install computer updates, such as updated drivers, system updates, and useful utilities.
  • Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

• Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

• Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  • Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  • Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.
  • Once installed restart the PC and then check.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ANAND_ANDY
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Windows 11 was updated on both machines before attempting transfer. Tried both 512GB flash drive and external hard drive. Believe One Drive may have been part of the problem so I increased One Drive capacity. That didn't work either. I am using my old laptop to respond because now my Outlook won't start on the new laptop. This is beyond frustrating. can't be sure if the problem is with HP, Windows 11 or both! I have been struggling with this for almost a month now. I'm ready to return the new laptop and start over with another computer made by someone else and use with Windows 10!!!!!

HP Recommended

@ricbraun,

Thank you for your response, I'm sending out a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ANAND_ANDY
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.