Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 246 G6 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I did some research regarding this subject and the solution seems simple, but is not working for me:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-ay100-notebook-pc/12499456/model/15270651/document/c02035...

Enable or disable fn (function) or action keys mode

Change the action key setting from the BIOS Setup Utility.
  1. Press and hold the Power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the f10 key repeatedly to open the BIOS Setup Utility.
  3. Press the right or left arrow key to select the System Configuration menu.
  4. Press the up or down arrow key to select Action Keys Mode.
  5. Press the Enter key to display the Enabled / Disabled options.

6. Press the up or down arrow key to select one of the options.
    • Enabled: Does not require pressing fn to use the actions printed on the function keys.
      For example, pressing f8 lowers the sound as printed on the key. Alternately, pressing both the fn + f8 minimizes and maximizes a web browser.
    • Disabled: Requires pressing fn to use the actions printed on the function keys.
      For example, pressing f1 opens a help window. Alternately, pressing both the fn + f1 keys puts the computer to sleep as printed on the key.
  7. Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.

I have tried to ENABLE and DISABLE the action keys on BIOS, but after Windows is loaded, function keys are just working when I press FN+Function key. I am used to hit function keys without other combination and this is not working for me.

As an example, when working with Excel, F4 key repeats the last action performed. On both options, action keys ENABLED or DISABLED all I got is the projector options (Windows+P), and am forced to press fn to obtain the desired action.

Specifications:

HP 246 G6 Notebook PC

Produt number: 5DZ55LA#AC4

Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz

System board: 831E 17.42

System BIOS: F.44

Is there any other hardware configuration required to be performed ?

Thank you,

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.