Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df1033dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a new HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df1033dx from Best Buy and it was running great. However, when I connect a docking station to connect two monitors to my laptop, the fans spin continuously. I noticed that problem is persistent when the charger is plugged into the laptop. I tried to use the two monitors when the charger is not plugged in and it seemed that the fan is going less noisier.

I downloaded the latest Windows 10 updates and installed the newest graphics cards drivers. I tried to change the battery settings and the thermal settings in the HP Command Center, but that did not help. 

The two docking stations I used to connect the two monitors are Belkin - Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station Model # F4U098BT and j5create - USB Type-C Mini Docking Station Model # JCD381.

I think this is a software issue and not a hardware one. Is there any software I can download that allow me to control the fan speed and run? Any recommendation on how to solve the problem?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Usef Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support and we appreciate your patience.

That said, to resolve issues such with fan Spinning Constantly, use the below steps:

• Updating your Notebook computer BIOS
  • Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean
  • Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat
  • Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes
  • Selecting power save settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

As for using the docking station, we recommend you get an externally powered docking station as it wouldn't have to rely on the laptop for it's power source and hence, would provide better performance with and without the adapter connected to the laptop.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, the best solution is to use the Type-C Docking Station with a power cord that connects to the docking station it self as this helps put off load on the HP Spectre x360. The Type-C docking station can run smoothly but you might have noticed that it could turn off completely if many devices are connected. When it is about two monitors, well lets just say that the monitors require higher resolutions and power while the docking station requires it too. The docking station might have an option for it (like an AC adaptor to fulfill the power requirement).

I am currently using a Baseus 17 in 1 Type-C docking station and it works like a charm but when it comes to power when connected with 3 displays (HDMI) or many devices, it gets shut down to prevent damage to the notebook and the docking station. The power from the HP Spectre x360 is equally withdrawn in all of the devices connected.

In your case, it did not shut down as the monitor load was something the laptop took it easily and did its job but it still required power. So try your best to compensate some power to the laptop by connecting an AC adapter, a supplied cord or maybe a PD supported power cable to the docking station to have its energy from an external source than the laptop itself.

Let me know if works for you. 🙂

Regards,
M. Muneeb Khan
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.