Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY Laptop - 15-ep0098nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I am experiencing issues with the fingerprint reader on my new laptop.

The problem started yesterday when setting up windows for the first use.  The fingerprint reader would register the initial touch when learning a print but then it would lock up and windows would give an error message stating the reader was disconnected after approx 30secs.  I skipped the first-use setup and thought it was a driver issue, so I downloaded both versions of the driver from the HP support site and removed the device and driver via device manager before trying both, one at a time, with a restarts and attempts after installing each.

This didn't fix the issue, so I proceeded to do a clean reinstallation of Windows from the recovery menu and still no luck.

Here is a list of things I've tried:

• Multiple shutdowns, restarts.
  • Installed Drivers Provided by HP, removed device and driver first, confirmed correct on restart. ELAN Secure Pad Integrated Fingerprint Sensor Driver (v.10023 & v.10026)
  • Installed Drivers Provided by Windows Update (v.10027)
  • Clean reinstall of Windows from the recovery menu.
  • Clearing TPM/Fingerprint Reader via tpm.msc and BIOS menu options.
  • Manually starting/restarting the biometric service.
  • Cleared files from C:\Windows\System32\WinBioDatabase
  • Disabling "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for the fingerprint reader in Device Manager.  The option re-enables itself several seconds later, almost like it's in a loop.
  • Disabling "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for the USB root hubs in Device Manager.
  • The list in Device Manager flashes periodically, seems like something is resetting.
  • Trying different power modes on and off AC power thinking maybe it was a power profile issue.

I can get the fingerprint reader to register the first few touches, but not a sufficient number to "learn" a fingerprint before freezing and erroring out.  I hope it's not a hardware issue, but at this point I am stuck.  

Thanks for your time!

-Eric

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@eric_f1 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing print Reader Issues/ and freezing issue

Here's a related post with a similar issue that seems to have helped others: Click here  

(Although the header may be different, the steps will solve your concern as well). 

  

Step one:  
Follow the below steps: 

• Update the BIOS 

• Enable biometric support 

• Check for Windows support 

• Clean the fingerprint reader 

• Update the device driver 

• Update the fingerprint reader software 

• Find new device drivers if you changed operating systems 

For more details information: Click here for Windows 7, XP or vista 
Click here for Windows 8/8.1 

Turn off the computer. 

Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers. 

Unplug the AC adapter from the computer. 

Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory. 

Press the Power button to turn on the computer. 

If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key. 

  

Second, you can check if there is Bios update available for your PC, here is the link to download. 

  

Performing a test on the Hard drive as well as on the Memory from the Hardware diagnostics:  
1) Shutdown the computer.  
2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.  
3) Press F2 once for System Diagnostics.  
4) Go to Component test.  
5) Run extensive Memory and Hard Drive test.   

Depending on the test results, If the test passes then I would suggest you perform a complete system recovery.  

Note: Recovery will wipe off everything from the computer. If you have anything important get in touch with some local stores to get your data backed up. 

  

Click here to know: How to perform each step. 

  

For more details, you can try these documents as well. 

  

Computer Is Slow (Windows 10) 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thank you, all these solutions were tried with tech support and it turns out it is a hardware issue.  I appreciate your time, but the laptop needs to be exchanged.

-Eric

HP Recommended

@eric_f1

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggest you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Or you can conatct the local service center for repair.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.