Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
06-23-2020 12:58 AM
Fingerprint reader does not work after computer wakes from Sleep mode. When I first start the computer I can access the desktop using the fingerprint scanner. However, once the computer goes to sleep mode it appears the computer does not recognize the fingerprint scanner or the scanner is just not working. I have to change the unlock to either password or PIN to access the computer from sleep mode. This is very frustrating and defeats the purpose of having a fingerprint scanner in the first place. I have updated the driver for the scanner and followed a few other suggestions from the web, but the problem persists. Can anyone assist please?
Solved! Go to Solution.
06-23-2020 01:37 AM
I just came across this web page:
I changed the power management settings for the fingerprint reader and will test to see if this works and update this thread
06-27-2020 11:31 AM
Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.
Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:
Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating)
To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.
Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.
- To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon .
- Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
- Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
- Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
- Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
- Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.
Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
I am an HP Employee
06-28-2020 08:36 PM
Thank you that was helpful.
I went into Device Manager, opened the properties of the fingerprint reader and unchecked "allow this computer to turn off this advice to save power" and the problem was solved.