Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp probook 430 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have issues with my fingerprit scaner. Cant seem to find any signs of it in device manager (dont even have biometric collum) neither found any option in UEFI (dont know if there is supposed to be anything).

It worked when i got this NB, after some time HDD failed and i send NB to repair. When it came back it didnt work anymore. Thought of not having proper drivers and software (with new HDD i lost Last pass/HP client security dont know wich is responsible for it) and it wasnt a big deal for me so i didnt care. 

Now i put it in factory reset updated to W10 and i would like it to work again. Downloaded driver from HP official drivers site for this type of NB. It didnt work after installing it open Terminal after whie it disapeared and fingerprint scaner still didnt show up.   As i said not even biometric collum in device manager.

I will be greatfull for any kind of help.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Today i installed official fingerprint scaner from HP and after this show up.

Bez názvu.pngBez názvu1.png

HP Recommended

@Johny_CZ 

Edits / Update

I missed your second post earlier.  I was doing other things while editing and posting my initial response and just didn't see it.

Ignore that the images do not yet show up - they have to go through an approval process.

I did check them.

I don't know whether / how the message is significant.

Another Export might be able to add something useful to the conversation.

Original Content

Ideas...

If the Device Manager does not detect the device,

If you have - over time - tried software, updates, and everything else,

It is possible the cable to the fingerprint reader is disconnected.

(It is also possible that the reader has failed or has been removed from the board.)

Consider / Try

Forced Start / "reset" the computer and try to pull in all installed components:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Fingerprint Sensor / Forced Reset

If the fingerprint sensor suddenly stops working on your computer

OR

If the computer is not issuing errors but still won’t let you log in,

Consider trying a Forced Reset (power reset).

Reminders

A Forced Reset is NOT a “recovery” and does not remove your data – this reset merely forces the computer to load the Operating System from disk. 

Forced Reset does not harm a healthy system nor does it “fix” problems not related to a clean start.

HP Support Channel - Collection of “how-to” videos

HP Video Gallery - YouTube

• Use Categories to narrow the results. 
  • Select your Video

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

What else?

You (the Tech) did have the case opened to complete a different repair.

The fingerprint reader might not have survived the repair process.

Have a tech (maybe a different one) open the box and check the hardware.

Or, you can open the box and check for yourself, of course.

Open

HP ProBook 430 G2 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Part Number, illustration, and replacement procedure on Page 52

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ProBook 430 G2 Notebook PC 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you much at least for tips. i have seen that reader is still inside. I will probably try to inspect it more deaply. Otherwise since there is no more help left i will probably call it broken.

HP Recommended

@Johny_CZ 

You are welcome.

You can test the fingerprint hardware (though I believe not from within Windows).

How-to help here:

TKB Article contributed by HP Wes_notebooks 

Testing for Hardware Failures

What else?

You can try reseating the sensor in the board.

This is not normally something I'd suggest, but the case was opened for other repairs and "stuff" can happen.

Yes, it could be broken - No, it is not common.  Sturdy hardware, as a rule.

That said, I've had the "little box" type of tap / press fingerprint reader on a Spectre (no long have the machine).  I never could get the thing to work consistently.  Ever.  It did, however, consistently show up in the Device Driver.  It just didn't like my prints...Unpleasant little device (the sensor, not the computer).  Smiling.

Do not give up - there are Experts here that understand the hardware and driver relationship better than I.

Stay Safe.

Carry On.

Good Luck.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you again for all the support.

After taking notebook appart and closely inspecting the scaner, i didnt find anything susspicious. No coroded contacts, no bends otherwise from those from factory, conectors looked clean. So if it wasnt further, on the motherboard, taking that out is painfully long procedure, it aint broken. 

Anyway it still doesnt work, i also tryed HP Diagnostics, but since it acts that scaner isnt even conected, it doesnt show option to test it. 

From now on i will probably live without it (i lived without it for 3 years so nothing new) and only if some new prespective shows up in here, it will probably stay that way.

HP Recommended

@Johny_CZ 

You are welcome and I'm sorry I could not help uncover the mystery.

Can the sensor / reader heal itself?

A week ago I'd have said, "Not likely."

Now?  Sure - it could happen.

Testimonial - Worthless except for the small entertainment value:

I have an aging (2016) monster Zbook workstation on which the little pointer stick (round key in the middle of the keyboard) has been non-functional for years.  It always seemed that the "Creators" update from Windows killed it.  Nothing changed physically, the workstation typically sits snug on a stand, constantly connected to AC.  The last couple years, the unit does not move around very much (no more travel to far away and interesting places).  Over time, I have checked the hardware, tried different drivers...this year I rebuilt the OS (different reason) - "nada".  (I had hopes for that one.)   An occasional check would always show the stubborn little button "still dead". 

Last week -  after Update KB5003173 - Poof.  Little pointer stick works. 

Magic.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.