Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6-6c48us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is it possible to Flash MBR BIOS to UEFI if there is software for it on the official page, or is this never available and not possible?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-dv6-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/51...

Under "Utility-Tools " is this the software to make this pc UEFI?:

"HP Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) Support Environment"

Thanks, pc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The download you mention contains support tools such as diagnostics software, not a BIOS.

All you can do is flash the latest available BIOS for your system and see what capabilities it has. dv6 is a rather old system that only got BIOS support for Windows 8 later on in its lifecycle. It might be that full UEFI boot capabilities were not implemented on that system; if so, it is unlikely there will ever be another BIOS version.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The download you mention contains support tools such as diagnostics software, not a BIOS.

All you can do is flash the latest available BIOS for your system and see what capabilities it has. dv6 is a rather old system that only got BIOS support for Windows 8 later on in its lifecycle. It might be that full UEFI boot capabilities were not implemented on that system; if so, it is unlikely there will ever be another BIOS version.

HP Recommended

I will do that David, thanks!  I thought I had already done it, but now that I look I see that it has not been done.  Still not sure if UEFI is any better, but at least it is more Secure.  I'll hope that the new BIOS is UEFI, but if it's not that's fine also.

Thanks, pc

HP Recommended

@pcpunk

I also have a DV6 and can attest that HP has not come out with a new BIOS for it in a long time, and they don't have a BIOS version that updates under Win10.

Sorry, but HP did not update the DV6 drivers and BIOS for Win10, and they are not going to do that now.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

WAWood, you are saying this new BIOS won't run from Windows 10, because it sounds like that is exactly what you are saying, and I cannot believe that.   

There is one there from Mar 1, 2013, and while I don't know, it could be UEFI?  Why else would they have the HP Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) Support Environment-Mar 11, 2013- for that lapotop if there wasn't UEFI available?

Not to mention there are more than one dv6 laptop made.

It's a moot point anyhow till I try it.

HP Recommended

BIOS Done!  No UEFI came with it though, too bad as I wanted to uset he GPT Function of it all.

HP Recommended

@pcpunk wrote:

BIOS Done!  No UEFI came with it though, too bad as I wanted to uset he GPT Function of it all.

Hi,

UEFI is most likely stored on a separate chip on the motherboard. I don't think you can just install it with a BIOS update when the chip is not present. The first UEFI compatible laptops in DVX family were the 7000 series and even those started with BIOS only motherboards before Windows 8 was introduced. 

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Thanks Pepe999, that is some really good info and was a pleasure to read.

HP Recommended

@pcpunk wrote:

Thanks Pepe999, that is some really good info and was a pleasure to read.

You are welcome!! It was more or less said in an earlier post I somehow missed. 🙂

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.