Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, I have been having a strange issue the past few days and I have spent hours trying to diagnose the problem. I have determined the cause but not the solution. I first started noticing that my Escape key was not working while trying to exit full screen mode on Youtube videos in Google Chrome. After this, I noticed the escape key stopped working in a game I was playing, Minecraft. I am also someone who uses Task Manager via Ctrl+Shift+Escape. This did not work for me at all either. I also noticed that my backspace key wasnt working shortly after. Very Frustrating. I verified that it is not a hardware issue. I booted my PC via a bootable usb of Linux and both keys function fine in that Operating system.  I booted Windows 10 in safemode thinking maybe a piece of software or bad driver might be causing the problem. When I did this, everything worked normally. I rebooted and it went right back to not working again. I created a new user profile thinking it may have been corrupted. and it worked as well in this profile, I rebooted the computer and went to my profile and it was working normally again. I thought it was strange but I wasnt gonna question it. Windows 10 is very buggy.  A couple hours later, it was happening again. I also reset my Bios to factory default settings. I uninstalled my keyboard drivers and rebooted and it worked again for a short period of time then stopped. I gave up for the night and just got back on my laptop and noticed that my F6 key which is the shortcut for Mute when holding down the Fn key, would dimly light up  when i press my escape key. When unmuted it lights up dimly whenever the Escape, Backspace, Windows Key, F4,F7, F11, 8(Numpad),*(Numpad),G, H,'(Apostrophe).  I had the idea to Mute my laptop via Fn+F6, which illuminates the indicator bright orange. As soon as I did this, Ctrl+Shift+Escape worked and so did my Backspace key. When I unmute my Laptop via pressing Fn+F6 again or via the sound icon in the bottom right task tray, it goes back to not functioning.  This laptop has always dimly lit the mute indicator when I press the above keys since I got it. It seems like a very strange issue and I would like to solve this. My BIOS is up to date. My Windows 10 Pro x64 is up to date on its updates. There is no malware on my computer and I really do not believe that the issue is hardware related since it functions just fine in a linux operating system. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

WIhile attempting more fixes. I checked for a new BIOS Update and there was the F.60 update. I thought I had the most recent version since I installed a ton of updates within the last 4 months. Installed, rebooted and now everything works as it should. and the random keys causing the mute button to partially light up appears to be fixed as well.

Edit: 2 Days later, I go back on the laptop and the behavior is right back to way it was before. So the problem is not solved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.