Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 255 G8
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I bought a brand new laptop with AMD Ryzen 3 5300U, 16GB RAM. Several times I got blue screens with "Driver power state failure" and "Thread stuck in device driver". I updated my drivers with HP support assistant but it's still happening from time to time.

I also noticed my dedicated GPU memory is only 512MB. Is this unusual? Is there a way I can increase it from BIOS, there is no advanced option in the menu? My brother has a similar laptop but with an older 2-cor, AMD and 8GB ram. His dedicated memory is 2GB.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook only has the onboard AMD Radeon Vega graphics, the dedicated memory is 512 MB and there is no way to increase it.

My notebook (Envy x360 15-ee047nr) has an AMD Ryzen 4500U processor with the onboard Vega graphics and the GPU memory is 512 MB as well.

Does your brother's notebook have a discrete graphics adapter?  it sounds like it to me if it has 2 GB of dedicated memory.

You would have to look up the specs for his notebook and see what the graphics specs are.

While I haven't had any driver issues with my notebook, I am using the latest chipset and graphics drivers directly from AMD, and they work fine.

You may want to try those out on your PC.

Use the AMD auto detect tool, let it install the chipset drivers and I suggest you allow it to factory reset the graphics, and then it will install the new graphics driver.

AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops

HP Recommended

Yes, I forgot to say that I used also the AMD Radeon Software and reinstalled my drivers, but it happened once after that too(while playing a youtube video with Firefox, "Driver power state failure"). The previous one happened while I used photo editing software so I assume this is a GPU issue.

HP Recommended

I suggest that since your notebook should be under warranty, that you submit a support case under the warranty and have HP take care of the problem for you.

Връзка с HP | HP® България

A brand new notebook shouldn't be having issues like that.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.