Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 6715b Base Model Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 11

I have a HP Compaq 6715b and have been trying for weeks now to update the BIOS from F.07 to F.20 ( sp55556 )

When I tried to run it, it came back with I need a BIOS ROMPAQ UTILTY??? in order for it to work. **bleep**. Why oh why we gotta run some special program (That as far as I am awawre is non existant) just to update BIOS? It's Rediculous.

By the way it can't be run from within DOS Startup, I tried that.

Some so called bright spark suggested loading windows Vista on the machine (Which I did) in order to load the bIOS update into the BIOS. Well guess what, I DID.

Well I did try that is. I got an  old HDD, downloaded and ran Windows Vista. Took ages to sort it out but I did.

I was getting excited at the thought of finally sorting this out.

But low and behold, it didn't bl@@dy work. I got the same message as I did from running it in Windows 11.

Maybe get someone in here who has actually tried and succeeded in solving this.

I mean I'm pretty good with almost everything from repairing old HDD's SSD's and pretty much anything I lay my hand's on but this.............I'm stumped.

I know what your gonna say "He's got Windows 11 on an old HP Compaq 6715b, **bleep**."

Yes, it's true. I have several HP's, one of themm is an 8710w and two 6510's and three HP Pavilion's and lastly two HP Streams that I have managed to add SSD's to instead of the measley 32gb internal storage, all of which have Windows 11 on them, by courtesy of Rufus.

All my laptops BIOS's have been updated, all that is EXCEPT the 6715b.

Is there ANYONE out there who has succeeded in updating their 6715b BIOS?

Cos I'm completely beside myself as I've looked high and low and I can find load's of so called advice but NONE of it is true.

Help in this matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks Rich.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi Rich,

Well you do not really tell us everything you have tried.

My first thought was that maybe you can not update directly from 07 to 20

Reading around a little it seems that you need to go to 10 and then are able to go to 20

There might be a few in between aswell

However, it might be something you have tried?

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on yes for thanks
Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Hi David.

There are no actual steps between F.07 & F.20, least none that I've seen and trust me when I say I've looked pretty much everywhere, both at HP and countless other websites.

It's just that every other laptop I've updated at leat a 100 probably more and not one where this has been a problem updating the BIOS, even BIOS as low as F.03., until now that is.

But the good news, I've managed to buy an updated BIOS Chip for the HP Compaq 6715 with BIOS F.20 already on it.

I got it from E-Bay. So I'm gonna get it into my donor machine & I'm going to try Back-Engineering the Chip and make copies of the new BIOS and give it free to anyone who want's it.

So now I just have to wait for it to arrive. 🙂

Sorry I forgot to say earlier, "Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate you trying to help."

To be honest I don't make any money from buying old laptops, I just hate seeing them all go into landfill when they're still useful. So I give them away to children who's parents can't afford to buy them.

They way I see it, these day's everything in this day and age is all pretty much centre'd around the internet and kid's that can't access the internet are gonna be left behind, so I do what I can to help out.

HP Recommended

Hi Rich,

I am glad you sorted it out. 

Yes, I think what you say is true. I have given many older PCs to immigrants who need all the help they can get as most administrative things are online.

Anyway, if you ever need any help with parts or advice please feel free to send me a private message.

I wonder if @Paul_Tikkanen would have any idea about the BIOS upgrade

All the best,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.