Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 857w
Windows 7

I am currently working with an EliteBook 8570w on a 90w docking station.  I have one external monitor and the laptop lid open for a second, smaller monitor.  I would like to connect a second external monitor and continue using the laptop with the lid open for email.  I can't find a definitive answer on whether or not this is possible and what is the best setup to achieve the desired end result.  The external monitor right now is connected to the VGA port.  The second monitor has both VGA and DVI ports so I could go either way with the cord or an adapter that would work the best.  Is it best to connect the second monitor to the DVI or DisplayPort on the docking station?  Which setup, if any, would allow me to keep the 2 external displays and the laptop monitor open?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for joining the Forums today!

While using your 8570w monitor, when connected to a docking station (we tested this using an advanced docking station ) there are two valid setups to get three independent screens. You could connect two extra monitors through DVI or just one monitor through DVI and another through Display port. This is using the advanced docking station.

If one of your monitors is VGA it still should work the same as above.

Here is a link to a picture of an adaptor you can use to connect via Display port: http://img.misco.eu/resources/images/products//100/HWP/FH/FH973AT/FH973AT_6_1600x1600.jpg

Let us know if you need further assistance. 

Thank you,

Jeorgie,

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for joining the Forums today!

While using your 8570w monitor, when connected to a docking station (we tested this using an advanced docking station ) there are two valid setups to get three independent screens. You could connect two extra monitors through DVI or just one monitor through DVI and another through Display port. This is using the advanced docking station.

If one of your monitors is VGA it still should work the same as above.

Here is a link to a picture of an adaptor you can use to connect via Display port: http://img.misco.eu/resources/images/products//100/HWP/FH/FH973AT/FH973AT_6_1600x1600.jpg

Let us know if you need further assistance. 

Thank you,

Jeorgie,

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help!  One external monitor is connected to the VGA port right now and I plan on connecting the second to the DVI port.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

HP Recommended

I have the 90W docking station with the Pro Book 6470B .  I also would like to have 2 monitors and the laptop display.  I have tried both the DVI & Displayport adaptor and VGA & Displayport adaptor setup to no avail.  All three monitors show up in the control panel Display applet.  I can select the extra monitor and extend the display to it, but when I click apply, i get a message "Unable to save settings".  When I use VGA & a Displayport, the laptop and the VGA displays work as 3 & 1.  When I use the DVI & Displayport configuration, the laptop is #3 and it doesn't dispay.

Does the 6470B just not support 3 displays?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.