Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15s-fq1003na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Apologies for the length of this entry!

We recently purchased this Notebook and have had problems with the sound of the fan becoming intrusive at times (a high pitched whine). I have contacted HP Support and they did their best to help.  I am going to test the changes made (predominately a BIOS update), to see if the issue with the fan subsides over this weekend.  In the meantime though, what has happened is that the BIOS update seems to have impacted the HP Support Assistant - I cannot now launch it and if I use HP Jump Starts, the information that used to be displayed in the top left (laptop serial number etc) is showing as "Unknown", where previously it was populated.  I am due a call back from HP Support tomorrow and so it will be interesting to see what they say.....

During my earlier call to them I asked why, when using the Assistant (prior to the manual BIOS update), it would suggest (The Software and Drivers section) that we were up to date, that in actual fact we were not, there was no clear response.

My question is, in your experience, can the Assistant be ordinarily trusted and, if not, if you use the support.hp.com site to check for updates, how do you easily identify which ones you need to download and install?  I had thought that this was what the Software and Drivers section of the Assistant was designed for.

You thoughts on the fan, the HP Support Assistant and the best way to keep your devices up to date would be very welcome indeed.

Thanks ever so much.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Joyvid

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, 

HP Support Assistant optimizes computer performance and resolves problems using diagnostic tools and utilities. HP Support Assistant provides an access point for software updates, product information, online classes, and provides HP contact information.

Not all updates are necessary; some are simply recommended. You do not have to download and install all updates, however, if you do not, the exclamation mark will continue to show on the HP Support Assistant icon.

If Bios update conflicts with other system software you can always rollback BIOS to the earliest state, and also you need to first update the HP support assistant before updating BIOS. Updating BIOS will resolve fan related issue. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Echo_Lake

Thank you so much for your reply.  One quick question, the BIOS update was applied last Friday and as mentioned this seemed to throw the HP Support Assistant out.  I spoke to HP Support yesterday and I was advised to uninstall and reinstall HP Support Assistant.  I did this and as you suspected, it resolved the "unknown" issues in HP Jumpstarts and I was able to launch the Assistant, which was great.  Unfortunately, it did not resolve the fan problem.  Do you think the fact the BIOS was updated before the Assistant would have any bearing on it fixing the fan problem?  If so, I could try updating the BIOS again, if not I do have the option of switching out the laptop via the retailer we used - they have a 14 day no quibble return policy if you aren't happy.  I am due to speak to them tomorrow.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@Joyvid

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue.
I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to back up your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows)You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Echo_Lake

Thanks for your post.  I am going to try the factory reset, I will let you know how it goes!

HP Recommended

@Joyvid

Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results.

Have a nice day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there

Thanks so much for your continued support.

Unfortunately the factory reset has made no difference.  Prior to doing this we uninstalled and reinstalled HP Support Assistant and this seemed to provide a new version of the application.

Post factory reset, I launched the Assistant and it struggled to pick up the details of the notebook, misrepresenting the warranty, device name etc.  It suggests too that it is up to date in terms of software and drivers but when I have checked the bios again (something that was updated in one of my earliest calls to HP), it looked as though it was a month out of date.  When I went in via the device manager, it too suggests the firmware is up to date, so I do not know what else I can try.  If the HP support website suggests the bios for this device had an update in August 2020, but the version I have is July, why doesn't it pick it up as out of date and could this make a difference?

In any event, all things tried so far have not helped in terms of the noise the fan makes, it can kick in after a very short period of use and the whine can be quite incessant.  I am beginning to lose hope.

Any thoughts would be welcome.  Thanks so much

HP Recommended

@Joyvid

Since you have already tried most of the troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue,

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.