Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6t-7000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I backed up large number of documents on a set of DVD's a few years ago using the HP Recovery Manager.  The HP Recovery Manager application that is in the DVD that contains the backed up files appears to be corrupt.  How can I get the documents off of the DVD's?

I think I need a new version of HP Recovery Manager software (that will run on Windows 10) so that I can use Advanced File Restore to get those files off of the DVD set, but I can't find that software on HP's website.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I couldn't find what I needed at the HP helpdesk, but googled the problem and found a solution on another forum: 7-zip software can extract backed up files from the .swm files that the HP Recovery Manager created on the DVDs. This appears to be working.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@TGeisler
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Are you getting any error message or code while playing DVD's?
  • Does computer recognize the DVD disk?
  • Have you checked the Dvd on a different computer?

While you respond to that, let's try this method: Click here

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm not getting any error messages while playing DVD's.

My computer recognizes the DVD disk, and can open all the folders on it.

I checked the DVD on a different computer and got the exact same results.

I will try the solution in your link, and get back to you.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

I installed the HP Recovery Manager from the link you provided, but the RecoveryMgr_x64.exe won't run because it says HardDisk.dll is missing. And I get the same error message when I run the compatibility troubleshooter and try to open it using the recommended compatibility settings.

I tried this same solution the other day, too (installing HP Recovery Manager on the computer), and got the same message. At that time I downloaded HardDisk.dll from the web and placed it in the same folder where the app resides. Then it asked for another dll, and another, until finally I got an error message in Arabic, and gave up.

HP Recommended

@TGeisler

Thank you for posting back. 

As you've checked the DVD disk on other system and the issue persists with DVD, it sounds like a corrupted or bad image on the DVD. 

However, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

• Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/
  • Select the product type.
  • Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.
  • Select the country from the drop-down.
  • You should see the HP support number or Chat option listed

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you.  I will contact them.

Only the HP Recovery Manager exe on the DVD appears to be corrupted.  All the other files on the DVD can be opened in text format.

I hope HP Support can help.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@TGeisler

Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I couldn't find what I needed at the HP helpdesk, but googled the problem and found a solution on another forum: 7-zip software can extract backed up files from the .swm files that the HP Recovery Manager created on the DVDs. This appears to be working.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@TGeisler

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.