Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook 15-au123cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Battery calibration, bought new AC charging adapter, HP Diagnostics found nothing (battery check and AC check PASSED)

The battery is not removeable, I drained it to zero 2X and charge stops at 63%.

Laptop is 18 months old.  Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I bought a new adapter just incase it was the orginal not charging.  However, this was not the case.  I am using the HP Orginal Adapter.  During my research, I found another suggestion to update the BIOS.  I did but nothing happened immediately.  Another suggestion was go to Device Manager and delete Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery file.  Then reinstall and update.  I completed this also.

Ironically, my battery is now charging to 100%.  I am still bewildered the real cause?

Thank you for helping.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Did you buy a guaranteed compatible replacement ac adapter? An AC adapter that does not have the capacity to provide the required current capacity may not fully charge the battery.

If the issue is as you have stated, there are two likely causes of a battery not charging fully.

1) the battery is no longer capable of providing the original design capacity.  Open the HP Support Asistant and then run the battery check. once it has completed, click on show advanced information (next to the word Results) to see the desigh capacity and the remaining full charge capacity.  Take a screenshot of the advanced information window and post it here.

2) The least likely possible cause would be a motherboard charging circuit issue

My current HP Product loan is an HP Spectre x360-15-ch000 notebook that HP has provided to help answer question more easily. See the image below of what I have described in #1. Click on the image to enlarge it. I have had the notebook for about a month and the full capacity is now 98% of the full charge capacity. Notebooks are only warranteed for one year and depending on useage some users get more useable service life out of a battery than others.

Full charge capcity compared to curent charge capacity.Full charge capcity compared to curent charge capacity.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Battery check resultsBattery check results

HP Recommended

That result indicates that the issue is most likely to be either the ac adapter or the notebook's charging circuit.

The HP Pavilion 15-au123cl, according to the HP part surfer, uses the HP p/n 741553-850 ac power adapter. 

What did you purchase as a replacement power adapter? Kindly provide detailed, as in manufacturer model and part number, information. 

For what reason are you using other than the AC power adapter the notebook was delivered with?

Sources in the US. It is a very inexpensive item on Amazon.com

https://www.google.nl/search?ei=4DA7W6LiEdDikgXmr6vQBw&q=HP+741553-850++USA&oq=HP+741553-850++USA&gs...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I bought a new adapter just incase it was the orginal not charging.  However, this was not the case.  I am using the HP Orginal Adapter.  During my research, I found another suggestion to update the BIOS.  I did but nothing happened immediately.  Another suggestion was go to Device Manager and delete Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery file.  Then reinstall and update.  I completed this also.

Ironically, my battery is now charging to 100%.  I am still bewildered the real cause?

Thank you for helping.

HP Recommended

same issuse it must be a glitz, i just drained till 60, adjusted my power setting in performance and did that 2 times and it is slowly gaining fully  power again, just a bit less intrusive, now 100 it took 37 min from 60%

LIT
HP Recommended

idont know wht fixed this it just worked was going to try above,i just tried sample of easiest method

LIT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.