Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Envy X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Laptop throttles under 1% load. Will overclock itself to 4000mhz for no reason. This is not a item specific issue.  Had 1, figured it was a cooling issue, so i got a replacement. Happens on this model too. Im assuming all it would need is a bios update changing when the fan requires throttling at clock speed spikes at certain temps. I love this laptop, but this makes it unusable because of how loud it gets. I am a student who will be in class, and my return warranty is gone. Please fix!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Don't know if my issue is the same but sounds kind of similar.

On battery power the cpu stays nice and cool, 45-50 celcius doing simple web browsing.

As soon as I plug in the charger, the cpu boosts itself to 4000mhz for no reason, even under minimal load. The cpu temps skyrocket to 90+ celcius and even hits 105+ celcius randomly. This makes the laptop SO hot that it is uncomfortable to touch. Changing the fan profile doesn't seem to make a difference.

This is a brand new envy x360 with windows and HP drivers/bios all up to date.

HP Recommended

@ItsMeDanny 

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Step 1: Removing dust and lint by cleaning vents

Most notebook computers have vents located around the case to allow air to flow through the case. If these vents become clogged, or if heat-generating parts become covered with dust, the fan cannot cool the components properly, because the laptop is hot and overheating becomes a problem. Lint and dust accumulation prevents air from flowing around the cooling fan blades and causes the fan to work harder and the laptop to get hot. If there is dust in the vents, you should clean the laptop by blowing out the dust from around the fan and heat shield. This prevents dust from accumulating.

It is not necessary to open the notebook (laptop) to clean out the dust with the canned, compressed air.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@mgaffar

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution:

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.