Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteDisplay E240c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP EliteDisplay E240c monitor (screen) which has a webcam in it. I also have an HP Pavillion 15-au109na Laptop which also has a webcam in it. The laptop webcam works. When I connect my laptop to my monitor and try to use my monitor's webcam it doesn't work. E.g. making a call through skype my laptop is connected and my monitor is working so I can see the laptop screen on the monitor but if I close my laptop screen there is no video coming through.

When opening up Device Manager on the Control Panel under Imaging Devices it only lists my laptop webcam not the monitor one.

The reason I got this display monitor is because it is a video conferencing monitor which is meant to be really good for making skype calls and other such conferencing calls, but it doesn't work.

How can I make my monitor webcam work so I can use the monitor to do everything (i.e. make calls) when connected to the laptop?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi, I have the same problem - my HP E240C webcam is not recognised by my Dell laptop. 

HP Recommended

Hello Jez38,

Which cables are you connecting the monitor to the laptop with?

You must have the USB cable connected (next to the monitor inputs, not the USB hub on the side).

Also, the manual claims if you use a VGA cable for the video, the webcam will not work.

I dont have your monitor to confirm this with so it does not make sense to me.

But if you are using VGA, can you try and HDMI or Displayport cable to test with?

Then see if the webcam is seen in the Device Manager.

Let me know if this works.  If not, I do not know what is wrong.

HP Recommended

I was using HDMI, but now I have connected with a USB cable, and the webcam works!! thanks

HP Recommended

Yes, the usb cable is what connects the webcam which is separate from the graphics signal for the monitor.

Glad to hear its working now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.