Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
01-13-2023 08:34 AM
I have an HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-eu0xxx (Product number: 4J972EA#ABU) which I purchased slightly over a year ago. It runs on Windows 11. It has two charging ports, and is charged by either a USB C (L04650-850) and the more traditional charger (L24008-001) (embarrassingly, I'm a bit stressed and have totally forgotten its proper name). Recently, neither charging ports could be used to charge the device. There was no prior indication of any problems, the laptop had been functioning as new, until a few days ago. The USB C charger does not work at all. There is no little light beside the port when I plug it in. The other charging cable has an orange light when plugged in, but does not charge. I have been fixing this by pressing the power button for 30 seconds and forcing a restart in that manner. Where the cable is plugged in, it will charge, but if removed for any length of time, it is no longer recognised when put in again. Every time this happens, and every time I restart, I have to use the 30-second power button trick.
I have done quite a bit of troubleshooting, but nothing offers a permanent fix. I have tried:
- Checking the mains power source. The problem is the same at home and at work, and in different plug sockets
- Tested the cables. Both cables charge other devices, and other cables do not charge my computer, except when I do the 30-second power button trick, which works on the non-USB C charger and not the USB Charger. The cables do not appear damaged.
- Used command prompt to reset all the power settings to default. This did nothing.
- Checked the battery, although I am not confident enough to remove it. HP Support Assistant said that the battery is normal. Once I can get the laptop to charge, it charges normally, and retains charge at a normal rate.
- Updated the BIOS. HP Support Assistant said everything was fine. BIOS System Firmware Test passed.
- Ran the Windows Power Troubleshooter. There were no problems found.
- Used Device Manager to disable (and then enable) and then attempt to update all the battery and USB Connector Manager options. Disabling did nothing to the power situation, though it did allow my phone to recognise that there was a USB cable connected, but it did not charge the phone. There was nothing to update.
- Run all possible updates in Windows (none applicable) and HP Support Assistant. Nothing fixed it.
- Restarted the computer. This did nothing.
- Checked for damage or dirt in either charging port and cables. There was nothing visible.
- Ran the battery test on HP Diagnostics Windows. Logic State and Charge State were both OK. Battery check came back with BN03051XL- Primary passed and AC Adapter Test Passed.
I have not changed anything to do with the software or the driver recently, and definitely not between the laptop working normally and the issues I am now experiencing. Other drives, such as the USB are working normally. I have a USB mouse and keyboard which are working as normal.
What else should I try? Is it time to go to a computer repair shop? I'm quite anxious that the situation will get worse. I depend on having a working laptop for my job, so want to fix the issue before it affects my work. Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to respond.
01-30-2023 08:14 AM
Welcome to HP Support Community.
Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.
I see that you are facing battery charging issues with your HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-eu0xxx.
I suggest that you update the BIOS by following this document. (Click on the word document to open the web page).
I hope this helps.
Take care and have a great day ahead!
Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community