Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@xxalazin wrote:

well th 19.21s are out and guess? what not even an INF to force install.. When I do force install any drivers the machine goes back all by itself to the oct 2017 driver. the force installs no longer hold. That has to be HP's doing...I can think of only one fix for this machine, A REALLY LARGE HAMMER..... We will never see a decent BIOS or real AMD support just empty promises from a worthless pair of companies........so disheartening...

Need to use group policy (block PCI ID) method to stop Windows Update installing 2017 drivers.

The problem with laptops and 64 bit WIndows (signed driver requirments) is reduced end user control over purchased machines. Group policy method is ussualy IT support level knowlege. 

Specs: HP Envy x360 15z bq-100-CTO with Ryzen 5 2500U, 16GB RAM, 512 GB NVMe M2 SSD, 1TB 7200 RPM HDD.
HP Recommended

@kurtd wrote:

It's amazing how slow and unhelpful HP has been.  Currently we have to deal with graphics drivers from 2017 and BIOS F.19 and F.20 are nowhere to be found.  Complete malpractice in my opinion.  I have a Dell with Ryzen and its been perfect, not one single crash ever.  HP on the other hand has rendered this laptop's value to be worthless.  Luckily I still have F.19 installed with graphics drivers from AMD (force installed), not one single crash since then and HP can't be bothered to post those to their support page? 

F.20 Rev A can be downloaded via F.10's Previous Versions tab

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-15-bq100-x360-convertible-pc/16851053/model...

F.19 is still missing. 

I'm running F.19 BIOS and forced install Adrenaline 19.1.1 WHQL and it works better than HP's offical config for bq100cto model.

I used group policy to block PCI IDs from WIndows Update.

Specs: HP Envy x360 15z bq-100-CTO with Ryzen 5 2500U, 16GB RAM, 512 GB NVMe M2 SSD, 1TB 7200 RPM HDD.
HP Recommended

[edit] I love having a laptop that I can't use!

HP Recommended

@xxalazin wrote:

well th 19.21s are out and guess? what not even an INF to force install.. When I do force install any drivers the machine goes back all by itself to the oct 2017 driver. the force installs no longer hold. That has to be HP's doing...I can think of only one fix for this machine, A REALLY LARGE HAMMER..... We will never see a decent BIOS or real AMD support just empty promises from a worthless pair of companies........so disheartening...

1. Uninstall all AMD software via control panel or use AMD cleanup utility, that's what I did.

There's usually no need for a cleanup utility, be it DDU or AMD cleanup utility, in most cases driver uninstall via control panel "programs" will suffice. Keep in mind, every time you reboot after the driver uninstallation Windows triggers PnP (plug n' play) =automatic driver installation, so you may be chasing your own tail. 

Uninstall the display driver and all AMD software (via device manager driver uninstall + "programs" in control panel),

you should end up having basic VGA driver as your display driver in dev. mgr. 

2. Don't reboot, it will trigger PnP and reinstall old software.

3. Go to basic VGA driver "update driver" button, use "have disc" option, point it to WT6A_INF folder e.g. C:\SWSetup\...\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF

4. Reboot. You should have the new display driver installed.

I then ran the newly installed driver's setup.exe (which previously failed due to >"wrong - incompatible driver/hardware").

It should complete this time. If not, this would be a sign that PnP (and windows update) will try to fix the new ("wrong") driver by installing the "correct" = old one you don't want.

If the driver setup fails, redo previous steps, something had to be left over that needs to be removed or overwritten. Try running setup again.

The benefit of that is that setup installs all applicable software and devices, not just the display driver.

If windows allows driver setup to complete it means it has no issues with driver/hardware compatibility anymore.  

You may disable automatic driver update by any method you prefer (link below).

https://www.itechtics.com/disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows/

In my case the first scenario worked just fine, never heard from display driver again.

If it doesn't work for you use one of the other 2.

Btw. AMD cleanup utility is in every driver package Bin or Bin64 folder

more about AMD cleanup utility here https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

There's a craze to chase daily for the very latest AMD driver... IMO there's little to prove you'll gain anything. Envy's 2500U is a 1 year old Ryzen CPU that no one is really trying to improve that much, HP proved that beyond any doubt, at least not on a weekly basis. New CPUs are coming out every few months, that's what they are after > new buyers! There should be no difference in terms of functionality between Dec. and Feb. 2019 drivers... unless you're a hard core gamer. In that case every new driver release notes describe in detail the improvements made to specific games and list all fixes. It's a good idea to check if that applies to you before update. There may be noting to gain. In some cases ppl report more bugs and issues then in the prev. version. Reddit is full of that.

HP Recommended

I actually ddu and sucessfully installed the original 655 and everthing appeared to work but original problems mostly stuttering was back. I installed a mod 1851 and I did a clean install not ddu but from the setup option. However the drivers did not actually install. I went to device manager and there was NO display adaptor at not even microsoft display adaptor. I just restored form Macrium reflect image but am back at 655. Should I just attempt using 1851 setup and upgrade only not clean install?

HP Recommended

Use the AMD cleanup utility, that will remove AMD software and you'll get the basic VGA driver installed.

Then update the basic VGA via "have disk". No need for system restore or anything nuclear.

Reboot and run new driver full setup via setup.exe (exactly the same driver package/version as already installed) to overwrite just installed driver to see if windows buys that.

Disable the automatic driver update as described.

It shouldn't matter which driver you choose to install 24.20 or 25.20 or any other. Anything recent Dec. to Feb. should work.

Word of explanation: so called forced install  via "have disk" forces a replacement of stored INF files in system32/drivers folder and related, it overwrites the remnants of old drivers. Only then running setup.exe is possible. Without that windows will tell you that this driver is incompatible with your hardware ("best driver is already installed"). 

HP Recommended

OK, after reading this discussion I updated BIOS to F19 and Adrenalin 19.1.1. All looks good except a couple of strange things. Both the USB 3 sockets now refuse to recognise my phone, nothing appears in device manager, can't browse phone contents or tether USB. It still works fine with the USB-C socket. I've tried re-installing the phone's USB drivers to no avail. Secondly Adobe Premiere Pro no longer allows Mercury Engine Acceleration, the option is grayed out. Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Try disabling fast boot from bios.

HP Recommended

@gsoul5005 wrote:

Try disabling fast boot from bios.

No such option in BIOS.

HP Recommended

When I tried premiere pro the same thing happened, the opencl acceleration was greyed out, this was after updating the adrenaline drivers from 18.12.2 or something, but after one reboot it showed me the option later.

@Hatshepsut1 wrote:

Adobe Premiere Pro no longer allows Mercury Engine Acceleration, the option is grayed out. Any ideas?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.