Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP G62 400 Series Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello HP Community,

As the problem description describes, the sleep and hibernate options are no longer available from the Windows start menu. Before anyone specifically asks, the answer is yes, I have done my own searching over the last couple of weeks and checked the power options settings in control panel and verified that the graphics drivers are functioning properly using the BIOS feature. I have not been able to recover the greyed out sleep or hibernate options. When the the problem first arose, I was traveling and used my laptop on the plane. Before the plan landed I attempted to shutdown the computer and during that time, the computer was trying to perform automatic updates to window. The computer was unable to perform the updates because (I think), I did not have a WiFi connection, so the computer restored the last known values. When I arrived at my hotel and powered the computer on, the font and display was huge, like something got screwed up during the last powerdown. I performed a hard shutdown by holding the power button, but when powering back on, I had the same big text and display. I logged-in and found that the display settings were set to the lowest resolution, so I adjusted back to my normal settings of the highest resolution. It was then that I noticed sleep and hibernate buttons were greyed out.

I have been through Google searching for answers, to no avail. As mentioned above, I have checked my power options settings, to no avail. I have also tried forcing the hibernate feature on by using DOS commands as the admin and I get the following returned answer:

"The following items are preventing hibernation on this system: There are one or more legacy drivers installed: VgaSave, an internal system component has disabled hibernation"

I have attached the screen shot. Please note I am not logged-in as admin here, but I get the same response to the command.

Thanks you for the assistance!

Chris

Capture.JPG

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

It seems to be a problem with the graphics driver or even the video card. In device manager can you see any problems with the video driver? What driver is being used under "Display adapters"?

You should try updating the driver.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the video driver.

Try using the video drivers from the HP support page for your model.:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-g62-400-notebook-pc-series/4346237

the error message seems to be saying that the notebook is using VgsSave video driver which is the basic driver of Windows and this is preventing hibernation.

Hope it helps,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.