Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bs212wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I am having issues connecting to another device using a prolific usb to serial adapter with my HP laptop.  The laptop device manager shows the connection as a USB Controller D under Other Devices vs. a Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port under Ports (Com and LPT).  This prevents the software I need to connect to my equipment from working.

This issue appears to be unique to HP laptops as both of personal and business laptop exhibit the same behavior.  However, my older Dell Venue 10 tablet pc connects readily with the same cable with the driver showing up as a Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port under Ports in the Device Manager.

Please advise as to how I can get my HP laptop to register the driver as USB connection vs a USB Controller.

Thanks for any guidance in advance.

Darryl 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@dhellis59 wrote:

... Other Devices vs. a Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port under Ports (Com and LPT).  This prevents the software I need to connect to my equipment from working.

@dhellis59 

Where do you get the cable from ? I used to have many problems when using USB to Serial and USB to RJ-45, they looked the same but they did not work the same. I had to use cables from vendors (Thales cables for Thales devices, CISCO cables for CISCO devices ....) now we all use Network connections therefore we do not need to hook cables directly to devices.

Please check with your vendor(s) to get the right USB-COM cables.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi BH,

Thanks for the response.

However, your suggestion did not work in this case.  I did try a different cable just to be sure, but to no effect.

Perhaps my description of the issue was not clear.  The cable I use to connect to my equipment is a standard USB cable.  The serial to usb adapter is inside the control panel of the equipment.  I only can use a standard USB printer type cable to connect to it.  So it's not the cable that is the problem.

Also, the driver for the connection to my equipment gives me different results if I use one of my newer HP laptops vs. my older Dell Venue 10 tablet pc all of which are running the latest or most updated versions of Windows 10.  I have to and will check to see if they are the exact same updated Windows 10 OSs though.  

Using the same cables I get a USB Controller D connection with the HP laptops, and I get a Prolific USB Port connection with the older Dell.

Darryl

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.