Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Touch Smart 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had an HP 3D Drive Guard error after installing device drivers from Device Manager in Control Panel.  I looked at Google for answers and they said to find the correct driver on HP website, sp71811, uninstall the old driver and install the new one for this notebook.  I did that and got a missing .dll error after rebooting the machine.  I was told to uninstall again and reinstall and to be sure to reboot after the uninstall.  The install stated that it was incomplete that files were not completely installed.  I got an error message about a missing .dll file (don't have the error code now).  Something about a stack file error.  So I went to the device manager and uninstalled the driver for HP mobile data protection thinking that I could reinsall that from device manager but it removed the accelerometer.  Now I cannot unload HP 3D DG because of the missing accelerometer.  How can I get the accelerometer back and fix the original problem with HP 3D DG??  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Try the newest version of the 3D driveguard driver...

This package provides the HP 3D DriveGuard Software for supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. HP 3D DriveGuard Software protects the hard drive by parking the heads if the notebook is accidentally dropped, or is abruptly impacted by another object.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp75501-76000/sp75979.exe

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

OK, the mobile data protection sensor came back in the device manager and I updated the driver.  Then I uninstalled the HP 3D Drive Guard and reinstalled the latest version for my notebook again.  I still get a VCRuntime140.dll missing error at start up.  It tells me to reinstall the HP 3D Drive Guard again.  Any advice for how to fix this?  

HP Recommended

Hi:

Try the newest version of the 3D driveguard driver...

This package provides the HP 3D DriveGuard Software for supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. HP 3D DriveGuard Software protects the hard drive by parking the heads if the notebook is accidentally dropped, or is abruptly impacted by another object.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp75501-76000/sp75979.exe

HP Recommended

Thanks so much Paul.  I downloaded and installed your recommended package and it resolved the issue.  I spent much time today getting to this point, including registering on the forum.  Again, thanks for your help.  It is surprises me that the sp75979 was a lower number than the package recommended on the website.  I would like to clike the solved and kudos buttons but do not see them here.  

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 75979 being a lower number.

75979 is a higher number than 71811.

Also the driver version and date is newer...

71811 =

Released: Jul 29, 2015

Version 6.0.28.1 Rev.A

75979 =

Released: 11 Mar 2016

6.0.32.1 Rev.A

HP Recommended

Sorry, I read the file name wrong....

when I went to the hp.com website and had them identity my computer (envy 17 energy star...) the driver they listed for hp 3d drive guard 6.0.28.1 Rev A, and I could have sworn it said 8.0.28.1 Rev A (my bad).  The date on the package was 8/25/16.  I am perfectly happy with what you recommended, it loaded and didn't leave files behind or missing.  Thanks.  

HP Recommended

Not a problem.

Glad I was able to be of assistance.

HP Recommended

One last question on this topic....

Why was your package not on the website for drivers recommended for my particular machine?  I thought I was doing everything right by going there, having hp identify my machine and going down to the specific driver update recommended for the product and the OS.  Is there a mechanism for getting the website updated?  Thanks....

HP Recommended

Hi:

Since I am not employed by, nor do I represent HP, unfortunately, I don't know why they don't update the drivers, or at least put new drivers for specific devices on the support pages where there are known issues such as the one you just had.

This is a widespread issue with the 3D driveguard and W10, and there have been a few ways to resolve the problem, but over time, I have found that providing the newer driver from a newer model business notebook is the easiest way to fix the accelerometer file problems.

I checked the driver to ensure the hardware ID for the accelerometer was the same, and once I saw that it was, I figured we may as well give it a shot.

I recommend if you are interested in seeing if HP will update the 3D driveguard driver on your notebook model series support page, the best place to start is below.

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/connect-with-hp.html

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul...glad you are doing what you are doing.  It's tough working through it using google and experimenting.  It's easy to get sideways quick.  Nor

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.