Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I desperately need help. I have a pavilion Dv7-2015tx Laptop, and my AC adapter is beeping and refusing to charge. My battery recently ran out, and so I cannot turn my laptop back on. I tried a hard reset, I tried leaving it unplugged for about an hour and even shaking it around as suggested by a few people on some forums as a fix. The light on the adapter is not on, and this issue has occurred 2 times before, both times, the adapter continued to work after about an hour of being unplugged. This time it hasn't. I contacted HP phone support, but they said I was going to be charged a MASSIVE $33 for phone support because it was out of warranty. I can't find an answer on this forum, and want to be able to find a solution without buying another adapter. Prior to this issue, my laptop was off for a day and a night while being plugged in. I desperately need help, please reply HP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I'm definitely not under warranty but I have a solution anyway. I called up HP customer support again, and this time I was told that it's a common, hard to fix issue. The only solution is a new adapter, but I found a new on for less than $20 on eBay anyway 😄 We did some simple diagnostics, for example, making sure it was still beeping when plugged into the wall but not the laptop and that the light was always off. I'm still bummed that I have to wait for the delivery, but my laptop needs to go into a repair factory for a noisy fan issue, and also a heatsink problem which has been causing my laptop to get up to 70 degrees, so it's a good time to wait.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

DeFuze, are you sure the AC adapter itself is the source of the beeping?

Yes, definitely. Right above where the cord plugs into the main module, there is a beeping noise.

HP Recommended

Also, I've seen that others have had this issue, but buying a new adapter has not worked. It can't be a problem with the motherboard, because the laptop functions on battery, but has run out now, and so it's useless. I'll give you my specs:

CPU: Q9000 2.00Ghz Quad Core Processor

RAM: 4GB 800Mhz

HDD: 2 x 500GB (1TB) 7400RPM

Graphics Card: ATi Mobility Radeon HD 4650

BIOS: Latest, unsure of exact version

Product number: nw97ps#abg

Please reply promptly, as I plan on buying a new adapter tomorrow, and need to know if it'll be a waste of money.

HP Recommended

If the AC adapter itself is beeping then it obviously has some kind of issue. My honest suggestion would be to disconnect it, not use it anymore, and get a new one. And you're sure that your not under warranty?

I'm definitely not under warranty but I have a solution anyway. I called up HP customer support again, and this time I was told that it's a common, hard to fix issue. The only solution is a new adapter, but I found a new on for less than $20 on eBay anyway 😄 We did some simple diagnostics, for example, making sure it was still beeping when plugged into the wall but not the laptop and that the light was always off. I'm still bummed that I have to wait for the delivery, but my laptop needs to go into a repair factory for a noisy fan issue, and also a heatsink problem which has been causing my laptop to get up to 70 degrees, so it's a good time to wait.

HP Recommended

I also got the beeping sound in my charger and it stops charging....  My Model no in dv6 1319tx Charger.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. My computer is out of garranty too.

For me, I think that the electric wire inside seems to be twisted or near to break. When I must have power, I place the adaptor box on a hard surface and I move the wire up and down to make him the more linear possible, (after many time ), I found a way to place the wire to be fonctionnal to charge my computer. I know that it's frustrating but anyway you will need to buy an other one if you want to resolve the problem.

On my side, I think that I often  put  the the ac adaptor in my school bag without precautions!  I don't correctly place the cord around the box when i must go with my computer and may be the wire broke. I will check to watch the cord nex time.

HP Recommended

I too have a DV7 pavillion.

2 weeks ago, upon starting up, the warning was  'battery too low to use' even though I don't use the battery.

Last night, when plugging, in the adaptor started to buzz, and no charge going to the laptop. Sounds exactly the same problem as the above.

I'm also out of warranty.

..and my laptop runs very hot, now all the time.

Not happy.

Q: What do you mean  by making the wire straight? Where? Inside? What? the laptop? The adaptor? You ranswer wasn't clear to me. Did it work?

Thanks, and hope to hear back.

Frustrated...

HP Recommended

I am not sure what is going on with my power cord adapter but it has just had the same beeping problem. 

i spent a while looking for the beeping and finally discovered that it was coming from the black adapater. 

There is no reason that this should have happened the computer is not moved or transported.  The black part of the adapter is very hot and I do not feel comfortable plugging it back in because I am afraid it wil start a fire. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.