cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
DarrenEMG
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Pavilion g6-2102au Notebook PC with lenovo software?

HP Recommended
Pavilion g6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, I wanted an old windows laptop to use for my astrophotography and my father-in-law had an old HP Pavilion g6 that he said I could use. I created a new admin account for myself and deleted his. Once I logged in with my new account I was puzzled to see a lenovo desktop screen, with a link to a lenovo manual and a "lenovo settings" shortcut on the desktop.

I decided to do a factory reset and the virtual agent told me to run HP Recovery Manager. However that isn't installed on this computer, and I don't have any recovery media. I had a look to see if there was a recovery drive. There is a d: drive, but it it is labeled "Lenovo".

I wondered if I could download a windows 7 iso from Microsoft, but when I entered my product key they said it was a preinstalled version and I should contact the computer manufacturer.

Am I able to download a windows7 iso from HP support?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
138,214 88,446 21,345 27,590
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP never offered W7 ISO files for download.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to download the W7 Home Premium 64 bit ISO file from the link below (toward the bottom of the page).

Windows 7 Home Premium Free Download ISO 32 Bit 64 Bit (getintopc.com)

You can use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable, or you can use a different free utility such as Rufus.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
4 REPLIES 4
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP never offered W7 ISO files for download.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to download the W7 Home Premium 64 bit ISO file from the link below (toward the bottom of the page).

Windows 7 Home Premium Free Download ISO 32 Bit 64 Bit (getintopc.com)

You can use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable, or you can use a different free utility such as Rufus.

DarrenEMG
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is excellent, thank you!

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

DarrenEMG
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, just a follow-up in case anybody with the same problem finds this thread. As of Jan 2021 Microsoft do still provide downloads of Win7+SP1 ISOs, but they aren't advertised. I used the auomated chatbot and at the end it asked me if it had solved my problem. I selected "No" and the bot asked me if I would like to talk to a real person. Once I explained my situation to the real person I was given a download link.

However the ISO is 6gb in size so you can't burn it to a dvd, it has to be a usb thumbdrive. I am having problems getting this old laptop to boot from a USB, but I found I didn't need to actually boot from it. I booted from the old windows, inserted the thumbdrive and ran setup. It worked beautifully.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation