Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Pavilion laptop that frequently but intermittently experiences loud fan noise that is not related to heat.  Sometimes, the fan runs high immediately upon powerup.  Sometimes, the fan revs up 45 seconds or much later into use.  None of the times is my laptop experiencing a heat issue.  I do not see any dust buildup, and air coming from the vents is cool.  I've updated the BIOS, and I do not see any rogue processes causing problems in task manager.  Putting the laptop in sleep mode will stop the fan noise roughly 50% of the time, but other times the fan noise starts right up again when the unit is awakened.  I hope somebody can point me in the direction to eliminate this annoying noise.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @DonA351 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

Let me check your current system configuration.

(1) Run    msinfo32

- Select <System Summary>:

--->>> Copy/paste following key/value pairs:

OS Name

Version

System Model

System SKU ( equals HP product number (p/n) )

Processor

BIOS Version/Date

(2Please report your results

HP Recommended

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044

System Model HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC

System SKU J9N59UA#ABA

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.57, 11/9/2018

HP Recommended

Hello @DonA351 

(1) Download and install / update

HP CoolSense Technology

2.20 Rev.D9.4 MBAug 6, 2014Download

(2) Reboot Windows

(3We need the check CPU and GPU temperatures ...

CPU

Download, install and start <Open Hardware Monitor>

https://openhardwaremonitor.org/

--->>> take screenshot after a few minutes <idle>

GPU

Download, install and start <GPU-Z>

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

- click tab [sensors]

- Remember to select the right graphics chip/card on bottom

--->>> take screenshot after a few minutes <idle>

(4Please report your results

HP Recommended

I HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH THE PAVILION DEAFENING NOISE  TOOK IT TO MY  LOCAL COMPUTER  SHOP OPENED IT UP DID A BIT OF FIDDLING COST ME £20-00 NOT A SOUND SINCE TAKING TO YOUR LOCAL COMPUTER WOULDNT TAKE TO PC WORLD THEYLL SELL YOU A NEW LAPTOP GIVE IT A GO.....................

HP Recommended

These snapshots were taken upon awakening my computer from sleep mode.  It had been dormant for roughly 30 minutes.  Upon awakening, the fan began making the loud noise immediately and continued thru the capture process which lasted roughly 15 minutes.

DonA351_0-1663944656881.pngDonA351_1-1663944699628.pngDonA351_2-1663944745333.png

DonA351_3-1663944823742.png

HP Recommended

10 minutes after taking the previous snapshots, putting the computer to sleep, and awakening it soon after, I took these additional snapshots.  The fan was NOT making a loud noise during these snapshots... it had stopped when I put the computer in sleep mode  The fan noise returned roughly 3 minutes after these snapshots were taken.

DonA351_0-1663945722619.pngDonA351_1-1663945746262.png

HP Recommended

Hello @DonA351 

(1) There is a combined problem: BIOS <-> Sensor <-> Fan

The fan's running behavior is very unusual. Either HP has to provide a new BIOS version or a service repair is required.

(2) What can you do ?

HP warranty valid -> Contact HP Support for service (repair) / bios update

HP warranty expired:

If you can't do that, you should have it serviced by a professional notebook (chip level) repair store.

Good luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.